Apps won't update

hooverbw

Cadet
I am trying to update some apps from the Truecharts repository (Radarr, Sonarr, qBitorrent, and Plex) and all of them are coming back with the same error message. I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.4.2. Does anyone have any suggestions or troubleshooting for this?:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 427, in run
await self.future
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 465, in __run_body
rv = await self.method(*([self] + args))
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1379, in nf
return await func(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1247, in nf
res = await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/upgrade.py", line 115, in upgrade
await self.upgrade_chart_release(job, release, options)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/upgrade.py", line 298, in upgrade_chart_release
await self.middleware.call('chart.release.helm_action', release_name, chart_path, config, 'upgrade')
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1368, in call
return await self._call(
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1328, in _call
return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1231, in run_in_executor
return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs))
File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/helm.py", line 44, in helm_action
raise CallError(f'Failed to {tn_action} chart release: {stderr.decode()}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to upgrade chart release: Error: UPGRADE FAILED: template: plex/templates/common.yaml:53:4: executing "plex/templates/common.yaml" at <include "tc.v1.common.loader.apply" .>: error calling include: template: plex/charts/common/templates/loader/_apply.tpl:47:6: executing "tc.v1.common.loader.apply" at <include "tc.v1.common.spawner.pvc" .>: error calling include: template: plex/charts/common/templates/spawner/_pvc.tpl:25:10: executing "tc.v1.common.spawner.pvc" at <include "tc.v1.common.lib.persistence.validation" (dict "rootCtx" $ "objectData" $objectData)>: error calling include: template: plex/charts/common/templates/lib/storage/_validation.tpl:18:43: executing "tc.v1.common.lib.persistence.validation" at <$objectData.static.mode>: nil pointer evaluating interface {}.mode

LarsR

Guru
Truecharts has their own Support Channel on their discord. It's unlikely that you get an answer here on the truenas Forum.

Edit: truecharts stopped supporting all scale Versions below Cobia.
Roll Back your Apps, Update to Cobia and try updating again.

hooverbw

Cadet
Thank you. I reached out and the solution was to upgrade to v23, which went way easier than the document led me to believe.

DaSnipe

Explorer
Thank you. I reached out and the solution was to upgrade to v23, which went way easier than the document led me to believe.
For most people the latest updates may need adding any cert-manager entries in the Ingress section and any Middlewares, but we always go with an over-abundance in caution upon initial release of the docs, since there's been major breaking changes in the path, and we've had a few days to catch most bugs

thewatchman

Cadet
Even the cert-manager fails to upgrade:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 427, in run await self.future File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/job.py", line 465, in __run_body rv = await self.method(*([self] + args)) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1379, in nf return await func(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 1247, in nf res = await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/upgrade.py", line 115, in upgrade await self.upgrade_chart_release(job, release, options) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/upgrade.py", line 298, in upgrade_chart_release await self.middleware.call('chart.release.helm_action', release_name, chart_path, config, 'upgrade') File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1368, in call return await self._call( File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1328, in _call return await self.run_in_executor(prepared_call.executor, methodobj, *prepared_call.args) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1231, in run_in_executor return await loop.run_in_executor(pool, functools.partial(method, *args, **kwargs)) File "/usr/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 52, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/middlewared/plugins/chart_releases_linux/helm.py", line 44, in helm_action raise CallError(f'Failed to {tn_action} chart release: {stderr.decode()}') middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] Failed to upgrade chart release: Error: UPGRADE FAILED: template: cert-manager/templates/common.yaml:5:3: executing "cert-manager/templates/common.yaml" at <include "tc.v1.common.loader.apply" .>: error calling include: template: cert-manager/charts/common/templates/loader/_apply.tpl:47:6: executing "tc.v1.common.loader.apply" at <include "tc.v1.common.spawner.pvc" .>: error calling include: template: cert-manager/charts/common/templates/spawner/_pvc.tpl:25:10: executing "tc.v1.common.spawner.pvc" at <include "tc.v1.common.lib.persistence.validation" (dict "rootCtx" $ "objectData" $objectData)>: error calling include: template: cert-manager/charts/common/templates/lib/storage/_validation.tpl:18:43: executing "tc.v1.common.lib.persistence.validation" at <$objectData.static.mode>: nil pointer evaluating interface {}.mode

I can't upgrade TrueNAS scale since the new version just goes into a reboot loop once I restore settings from the tar file. So I am pretty stuck.

derlinus

Dabbler
The solution for me was:
Upgrade to 23 (not sure if that was necessary at all actually only chart was complaining about a missing / possible that's all there is to do)
For Plex, the destinations of the directry, mapped into the container with charts 2.0.2 requires to provide the mount point with absolute path. That's new and I needed to change that for all the data directories I mapped into Plex.
All directories now need to be something like "/data" (before chart 2.0.2, it was only "data")
Again I have not checked if that change would have done the trick on 22 but now at least it's clear what the root cause of this is.