Plex dont load Meta Data

Igdirli 76

Dabbler
Hello Friends,

copied my library to my freenas and wanted to update the metadata from the movies.

Unfortunately it loads for a short time and then nothing happens.

Under Agents also settings have been adjusted and are correct.

When I ping 8.8.8.8 it also works.

I tried to switch to VNET and entered the IPV4 address myself. After that I could access the Plex interface and no connection to the server could be established.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I think Plex has to work with VNET. This might not still be the case but at one time it was. For now stick with VNET

Also you could be having permissions issues with your media directories. If Plex cant find the movie it cant scrape any metadata for it. By default Plex likes to run as the user plex. The directories created to mount network shares to is often owned by root. The way I have always told people to let the media user own all media (but ONLY media) from the FreeNAS host and any software that deals with media should just run as the media user so there arent these issues. The media user is automatically created when a jail is created, so you wont have to create it on each jail yourself. You can specify which user plex runs as in your Plex jails rc.conf file located in /etc/rc.conf. Here is an example of mine.

Code:
plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable="YES"
plexmediaserver_plexpass_user="media"
plexmediaserver_plexpass_group="media"
tautulli_enable="YES"
tautulli_user="media"
tautulli_group="media"

This same idea goes for all your "HTPC" softwares, not just plex.

My advise is to change ownership of your main media dataset within FreeNAS to media, and then just edit your rc.conf file similar to mine running plex as the media user (aka 8675309).

I would need a lot more info to tell you anything else. Im thinking this could definitely be a permissions issue.

Igdirli 76

Dabbler
Hello Friends,

So i have mounted my Movie Folder, but the next problem is, if I add a new Movie in the movie folder than i can not scan it over Plex. I must go to Storage / Pools / Select the Pool and "Edit Permission"--> Apply permissions recursively. Than i can add a new Movie. But i must do this all time after copy a Movie to Plex folder.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Whoever puts the file into the /media directory owns that file. That might be SABNZB, Transmission, your Windows user or your cousin Jimmy. The easiest way to get around these issues is to have a common user, your user, and run all of your softwares on both Windows and FreeNAS using this user. Then YOU own everything, the media, the directories, the running software, this is basically as it should be. Once you accomplish this these problems and issues will be gone forever.

Please read this document this guide basically installs everything in its own jail, I prefer to just run similar softwares in the same jail. This can simplify things quite a bit, but is easier to mess up.

Last edited:

madhub

Cadet
Edit: switched to emby solved the problem.
IMHO way netter than plex

I have the same problem. Plex will not load any metadata.

permission.JPG

I created an user "plex" with the correct id. Afterwards i was able to add the files to the plex library
files.JPG

But for now there will no metadata be loaded
i attachted the log files also. Would be nice if anyone with more skill will be able to help me out. I think it is a permission problem.

Attachments

• Plex Media Server Logs_2020-02-09_10-38-15.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 258
Last edited: