Plex/VNET not working

Dord

Dabbler
Hi guys,

So I moved from 9.10 to 11.2 today, all went fine, then basically went with a fresh install of plex, so I set up a new jail and then fresh installed plexpass in it. Then the issue is that plex won't play videos that need transcoding (direct play works fine) and also won't get any metadata.

I played with it for most of the day, couldn't get it to work, then I came across some threads indicating that using VNET would fix both issues. Unfortunately, I can't get VNET to work, once I activate it, I can't ping from the jail. (but I can ping perfectly fine without VNET)

I believe I set it up properly: ticked the VNET box, vnet0 as interface, default routeur pointing to my routeur, allow raw sockets=1, interfaces=vnet0:bridge0.

Am I missing something in my config for VNET to work?

Happy to provide any output needed to troubleshoot this.

Thanks for your help!

Ixian

Patron
Do you actually have bridge0 set up and at least one interface added to it? Otherwise bind vnet0 to the nic interface itself you are using.

If you are using a bridge, there was an issue with vnet and bridges in 11.1, supposed to be fixed in 11.2 but you can check this thread for ideas maybe.

nojohnny101

Wizard
@Dord I could never get plex working because of similar problems you described. I ended up just following this guide and created the jail from the CLI and it has been smooth sailing since.

Ixian

Patron
The Plex (and Plexpass) plugins are up to date in FreeNAS 11.2; you can also use those since they walk you through some of this stuff. Though I think this is a pretty simple error to fix, probably due to the upgrade: Unless you specifically set up a bridge group with multiple NICs what you need to do is bind vnet0 to your actual interface (i.e. igb0, etc.) not bridge0.

Dord

Dabbler
Thanks for the responses guys!

I had tried using the plugin too, but same issue.

But after looking at my bridge config, I realized that I had multiple bridges showing up with ifconfig. I have been creating a few new jails during my tests, so it was creating a new bridge each time it looks like. I deleted all jails, put all bridges down, and rebooted.

Then I created a brand new jail, with the same VNET settings as before, and it seems to work fine in this new jail, I am able to ping and get transcoding and metadata to work now that VNET is working. Looks like the bridges were conflicting with one another somehow, or maybe I had bridge0 set in 2 jails and that was the conflict. Not sure, but anyway, it looks to be fixed now.

I am now copying my old plexdata folder over to the new jail to restore my settings, hoping I don't encounter anymore issues there!

Thanks!