Plex deploys but is always in a fresh install state

Hello everyone,

I know a lot of people post about Plex issues, but I feel like this one is different from what I've seen on these forums and all my google searches.

I'm running the latest version of Scale and running the latest version of Plex from the official depository.

After configuring the app and deploying it, it will allow me to select a profile then go to this page and sit here until it errors out saying, "A problem has been detected with a core component of Plex Media Server". If I click on Name, Media Library, or Finish tabs it will allow me to "Finish" the setup of the server then bring me to the main page showing my content.

Startup Page.png

The server is able to playback content just fine and allows me to add and remove my media and can see my media folders/files. The problem is if I close the browser and go back to the Plex interface it just goes right back to the setup screen and acts like its a fresh install again. But it already has the server name set and the content is already there and mapped. I'm once again able to get off this page if I click on any of the options and then click "Finish".

This is my Dataset that I'm using for my personal files and a dataset just for plex Config, Transcode, and Media files. The "Parent" dataset it setup as an SMB share.

Datasets.png

I've tried removing and reinstalling Plex several times with no success. I've completely deleted the Plex dataset and recreated it with no success as well. I'm thinking it is some sort of permission issue but it is strange that the server is able to install and see content with no problem but can't seem to acknowledge that the initial setup was already completed.

If anyone has had this issue or knows of a fix I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you for your time!

o1982

Dabbler
If you go to the main plex site and click "Open Plex" in the top right - does it work as expected then? (is the URL that your opening Plex in the setup URL instead of the normal one???)

If you go to the main plex site and click "Open Plex" in the top right - does it work as expected then? (is the URL that your opening Plex in the setup URL instead of the normal one???)
Doing that while on the same network as the server brings me to the same setup page. If I enable access outside the local network to the TrueNAS Plex server and try the same “Open Plex” button on my cellphone it brings me to the same setup page.

If I try just entering the IP address like: 192.168.1.XXX:32400 it redirects me to the setup page as well.

o1982

Dabbler
Have you added the "apps" user permissions (RWX) to the plex config dataset?

Did you try the truecharts Plex app (but you're not supposed to use the Host Path, just leave it as PVC)?

LarsR

Guru
@o1982 you're supposed to leave the storage for the configs as pvc.
For adding additional storage you're supposed to use nfs.

First thing that springs to my mind is the question if you generated a plex claim token and inserted it while setting up the app.
Keep in mind that the plex claim token is only valid for a short time (5 Minutes or something like that)

Have you added the "apps" user permissions (RWX) to the plex config dataset?

Did you try the truecharts Plex app (but you're not supposed to use the Host Path, just leave it as PVC)?
It was a permission issue. I went through the permissions again for the the Parent Dataset and the Plex Dataset and noticed that the "builtin" groups were not setup. I add them in and game them the default permissions and boom no more setup page.

@o1982 you're supposed to leave the storage for the configs as pvc.
For adding additional storage you're supposed to use nfs.

First thing that springs to my mind is the question if you generated a plex claim token and inserted it while setting up the app.
Keep in mind that the plex claim token is only valid for a short time (5 Minutes or something like that)
Claim token was all good, turns out I just messed up the permissions and wasn't allowing the builtin users to do their thing on the datasets.

Thank you both for your input!