In SCALE Apps. what is the equivalent of Jail mount points in CORE?

henderbc

Dabbler
I am REALLY new to TrueNAS Scale and am trying to migrate my home NAS from CORE to SCALE. Here's what I have done so far:

1) For purposes of exploration and education, I have created a TrueNAS SCALE virtual machine on a Windows 11 workstation using VirtualBox.
2) I have added Apps Plex and Emby to my SCALE instance. I am using Plex on my existing NAS running on TrueNAS CORE and am hoping to evaluate which of the two Apps I prefer for my new configuration.
3) I have created a dataset /mnt/tank1/Media to hold media to serve up.

I have not been able to figure out how to do the SCALE equivalent of creating a Jail mount point in CORE. It needs to be:
1) seen outside the App for purposes of adding new media, and
2) seen inside the App for purposes of serving up content

What I am trying to do seems to be so rudimentary, but alas I am stuck.
Please get me pointed in the right direction.

LarsR

Guru
Mountpoints in Scale apps are called Hostpaths.
Most apps have a setup option called additional or external storage.
If you're using truecharts you could use the basic guide on their homepage to Truecharts Adding Storage Guide
And even if you're not using truecharts the basics should also be the same or at least very similar for the official apps.

henderbc

Dabbler
Pleas forgive my ignorance, but I don't know whether I am using truecharts or not. What I did was to use the TrueNAS web interface to add instances of both Plex and Emby using the Apps function on the main web interface page.

LarsR

Guru
Truecharts is a third party apps catalogue, so if you did not add that catalogue, you're using the official app.

henderbc

Dabbler
Excellent! I am using the 'official' Emby app from the TrueNAS scale installation.
Now I have:
1) created a dataset on the server /mnt/tank1/Media
2) edited the configuration for the Emby app like:
1697235208535.png

3) added a new library in Emby called 'Movies' with /mnt/Media as the library path.

My preferred next step would be to connect the host path /mnt/tank1/Media to an SMB share on my production TrueNAS CORE server (on my local network) so that all of my existing media can be served up via Emby.

In reading other posts, it seems that trying to link an Emby library directly to an external SMB share creates a new set of complications. Being a 'baby step' kind of guy, I'd like to start out by getting external media onto my SCALE machine. Hence I:
1) Created a new directory /mnt/tank1/ExternalMedia
2) Created a WIndows (SMB) shate /mnt/tank1/ExternalMedia like this:
1697236641228.png

Now, on my Windows workstation, I try to connect to this share on my SCALE box. I am met with:
1697236772504.png

The credentials I used to connect were exactly the same as the credentials I have been using to access the web interface on my SCALE box, so I know they are correct.

I feel I am tantalizingly close. What am I missing?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Neither SCALE nor CORE support mounting of external storage over the network as a client. Your media is supposed to be on the NAS that runs Emby.

Davvo

MVP
Also do a little search about hostpath validation and its quirks, or wait till a SCALE user tells you.

henderbc

Dabbler
I have corrected some errors in my share setup and all is well.

Thanks all for your help.