Plex cannot find files in media folders

ric

Contributor
My plex on Freenas latest build cannot find my media files after reinstalling Plex. This is the first time happened. I didnt change or modify anything on my Freenas directory files. When I go to Plex server and try to add a library, and point it into /media/Movies, it cannot see my media files in that Movies folder. It was working fine before i did the update.

Troubleshooting:
Restart and reinstalled Plex plugin.
Reboot Freenas server.
Deleted and reconfigured Jail

Attachments

• jalil_mount_point.JPG
    jalil_mount_point.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,541
  • plex_cannot_find_media_files.JPG
    plex_cannot_find_media_files.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,628

Fredda

Guru
This is most likely a permission problem.
* First, make sure you really have mounted your movies folder correctly into the jail
* Second, make sure the plex user is able to enter and read the folder with your movies.

Open a shell in the plugin and check the /media folder and its subfolder permissions.
Maybe the UID of the Plex User in the plugin has changed compared to the old plugin.

ric

Contributor
As you can see from screenshot, i have the movie folder mounted correctly.

The owner and group of the movies folder and sub-folder is root and wheel which i dont remember whether it is the same before or not.

Attachments

• jail_mount_point.JPG
    jail_mount_point.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 3,014

Fredda

Guru
As I said: Open a shell in the plugin and check the /media folder and its subfolder permissions.

ric

Contributor
The /media folder appear to be greyed out and that's probably the problem here why is not seeing the media files.

d---rwx---+ 78 nobody wheel 252 Jun 14 10:35 Movies

Attachments

• plex_media_greyed_out.JPG
    plex_media_greyed_out.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 3,231

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The folder is greyed out because the neither the plex user (uid 972) nor the plex group (gid 972) have access to that folder. You've currently set up the permissions for that folder so only the wheel group has access, and no other users or groups.

There are generally 2 ways to fix this:
  1. Recursively change the permissions on the folder so it's available to both the user and others. This will end up with permissions drwxrwxrwx. This is the simplest, and also the least secure option.
  2. Alternatively, you can create the plex user and group with the appropriate uid/gids outside the jail. Then recursively change the ownership and permissions on the folder so it's owned by plex/plex with permissions drwxrwxr-x.

Last edited:

ric

Contributor
I have figured out by changing the permissions to everyone (drwxrwxrwx) then I saw your comment after.