Plex doesn't see media right after copy to NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

IonutZ

Contributor
So I have a bunch of movies in Plex, running latest and greatest, and I just attempted to copy some movies in my media folder, went to refresh the Plex library, and they're not there... is there any reason why they wouldn't show up right away?

Checked permissions and the files that have been added have the same permission as the rest of the files.

UPDATE: I tried playing existing videos and Plex is giving me an error playing them. This happened when going from FreeNAS 9.3 back to FreeNAS 9.2.1.7. Had to recreate the jail.

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That is a question for the Plex forums. I'll tell you from my experience:

1. If Plex is capable of detecting a change (that is, the OS adding the movies is the same OS that Plex runs on) then it should work. In this case, your Plex is probably in a jail, which means unless you are copying files to your folder from inside the jail Plex won't know about the update.
2. Plex does regular scans of the folders on its own. In the Plex WebGUI you can change this setting.

My guess is you copied a movie to the movie folder and expected instant access. You won't ever get that with Plex in a jail, so give that up. Now you can set Plex to do scans at very short intervals (say, 15 minutes or so) but you're going to be doing scans so frequently that it's almost frightening.

My advice is to not expect Plex to have instant turnaround. It doesn't and won't normally nor is this something that "can be fixed" which is why there's the automated scans.

IonutZ

Contributor
I found out it really had nothing to do with that, I'm aware that you have to refresh the library in order for new media to appear. It was more along the lines of, I downgraded from FreeNAS 9.3 to FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 and there was an issue where 9.2.1.7 didn't see the media mounted to the jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.