Plex cannot connect to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBird956

Cadet
Hey everyone,

I've been looking for hours now and can't find any help to my problem.

Everything worked fine 1 or 2 weeks ago and I just realized that Plex is not able to see any network information at all and that my jail is not able to connect to the internet. I have no problem connection to it from my local network.

Capture.PNG

Plex IS NOT installed through the plugin in the Freenas panel. I have assigned a local IP manually with a netmask of 255.255.255.0.

Also, I know nothing about network stuff :/

I am running FreeNAS 11.1-U5

kdragon75

Wizard
Can you provide a description of your network?
If you login to your Plex jail, can you ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com?
Have you tried restarting your jail?
Plex does not seem to be able to see its IP. Did this start with the update to u5?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
@kdragon75
I think we're misunderstanding the gentleman.

His jail is working fine in the LAN, and he can get to his plex from his local area network, and everything is cool, both incoming and outgoing presumably.

He, however, is not reachable externally. The internet is not able to connect to his jail, I think is what he meant to say.

If that's the case sir, I suggest you initiate a port forward on TCP port 32400 in your router to your jail's ip address.

Or perhaps *I* am misunderstanding.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is this a plugin install, a warden based jail install or an iocage based install.

I'll be real glad when iX gets the jail situation squared away properly........

kdragon75

Wizard
Is this a plugin install, a warden based jail install or an iocage based install.
Plex IS NOT installed through the plugin in the Freenas panel.

His jail is working fine in the LAN
Everything worked fine 1 or 2 weeks ago and I just realized that Plex is not able to see any network information

Lets start by verifying the simple things first. We need to make sure locak networking is working as expected. The DNS and default gateway. From there, we can look at NAT (port forwarding).

TheBird956

Cadet
Can you provide a description of your network?
I dont know what kind of description I can give about my network, just ask me questions :p

If you login to your Plex jail, can you ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com?
When I ping google nothing goes through, it just says this and the command never stops (at least not until I decided to cancel if)
Code:
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

Have you tried restarting your jail?
Yes I tried to restart the jail multiple times and also the whole server.

Plex does not seem to be able to see its IP. Did this start with the update to u5?
I think it started a few days after I updated the server.

========

@kdragon75
His jail is working fine in the LAN, and he can get to his plex from his local area network, and everything is cool, both incoming and outgoing presumably.

He, however, is not reachable externally. The internet is not able to connect to his jail, I think is what he meant to say.
You are correct

@kdragon75If that's the case sir, I suggest you initiate a port forward on TCP port 32400 in your router to your jail's IP address.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to my router control panel (its a long story that I do not want to explain). Before that problem, it worked without having to forward a port.

========

It is not a plugin install. I just created a standard jail and installed the FreeBSD version of Plex in it.

Also, the Plex version is 1.11.3.4803

kdragon75

Wizard
With Plex accounts plex.tv acts as a connection broker and therefore does not rely on port forwarding though it makes it easier to troubleshoot.

When I ping google nothing goes through, it just says this and the command never stops (at least not until I decided to cancel if)
Code:
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes
Is that the ONLY output from ping 8.8.8.8? We need to see the full output verbatim.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What is the output of freebsd-version from the jail shell?

Do you have a port forward set up in your router for Plex?

Did you follow a tutorial to install Plex? If so which one?

Last edited:

TheBird956

Cadet
Is that the ONLY output from ping 8.8.8.8? We need to see the full output verbatim.

Yes, that is the only output. I waited for around 5 minutes and there is nothing more.

What is the output of freebsd-version from the jail shell?

Do you have a port forward set up in your router for Plex?

Did you follow a tutorial to install Plex? If so which one?

Here is the output:
Code:
11.0-RELEASE-p1

There is no port forwarding setup and I do not have access to the router admin panel.

I did follow a tutorial, I tried to find it before posting but I could not find it.

Lets start by verifying the simple things first. We need to make sure locak networking is working as expected. The DNS and default gateway. From there, we can look at NAT (port forwarding).

I've setup the IPV4 default ateway to 192.168.10.1 which is the same as all my other computers.
Nameservers are setup in this order in my FreeNAS network config:
  • NS1: 192.168.10.1
  • NS2: 8.8.8.8
  • NS3: 8.8.4.4
Also, here is the ifconfig output from the jail
Code:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
		options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
		inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
		inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
		inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
		nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
		groups: lo
epair1b: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		ether 02:03:a0:00:08:0b
		inet 192.168.10.251 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255
		nd6 options=9<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED>
		media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
		groups: epair

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
What is the contents of /etc/resolv.conf from the jail.

In the server -> network settings in Plex try adding 192.168.10.1 to the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" and restart the plex service. service plexmediaserver restart

That output from freebsd-version indicates a warden based jail. You're going to have to rebuild this at some point using iocage or hope that the migration script the iX has planned works to migrate it over to iocage when 11.2 lands.

Last edited:

TheBird956

Cadet
What is the contents of /etc/resolv.conf from the jail.

In the server -> network settings in Plex try adding 192.168.10.1 to the "List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth" and restart the plex service. service plexmediaserver restart

Here is the content of the file (opened with vi)
Code:
search local
nameserver 192.168.10.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

~
~
~

I added the IP to the list and restarted but nothing changed.

kdragon75

Wizard
List of IP addresses and networks that are allowed without auth
I'm not sure what that would do for him. WAN clients would still connect using there WAN IP. The PAT (NAT) is one way. Inside -> out. From there the firewall uses the state table to re-write the to address on the inbound packet.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm not sure what that would do for him.
Later versions of Plex are kind of buggy that way. I had to do this with mine a while back to keep it connected. Can't even tell you why but it was suggested on the Plex forum and it worked so I just rolled with it.

kdragon75

Wizard
Yeah I feel like Plex is sliding down hill. They just keep pushing paid BS and adding "features" while being slow to fix bugs. I wish I could go back to a simple direct connection and not having a silly account.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There is no port forwarding setup and I do not have access to the router admin panel.
I missed this when I checked this earlier. This right here is going to be a problem. Without access to set a port forward you're not going to be able to get access outside your network.

TheBird956

Cadet
I missed this when I checked this earlier. This right here is going to be a problem. Without access to set a port forward you're not going to be able to get access outside your network.

It worked fine before without port forwarding, my install is a few month old.

The real problem is that the jail cannot connect to the internet at all. I cant get metadata, I cant download files with wget and I can't ping any IP outside of my local network.

kdragon75

Wizard
With Plex accounts plex.tv acts as a connection broker and therefore does not rely on port forwarding though it makes it easier to troubleshoot.

ss4johnny

Explorer
It worked fine before without port forwarding, my install is a few month old.

The real problem is that the jail cannot connect to the internet at all. I can't get metadata, I can't download files with wget and I can't ping any IP outside of my local network.

I'm having a similar issue. I can't ping outside my local network. I had deleted an old jail and wanted to re-create it, but I have no access to the internet on it. Same result pinging 8.8.8.8.

I'm tempted to create an iocage jail to see if that works better.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I'm having a similar issue. I can't ping outside my local network. I had deleted an old jail and wanted to re-create it, but I have no access to the internet on it. Same result pinging 8.8.8.8.

I'm tempted to create an iocage jail to see if that works better.
Start a new thread so your issue can be worked out.

ss4johnny

Explorer
Start a new thread so your issue can be worked out.

Before I saw your post, I created an iocage jail and haven't had any problems since. It doesn't show up in the gui, but other than that it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.