SOLVED Please upgrade to the .NET Core version of Radarr

dnilgreb

Contributor
I have Radarr(to 3.1.0.4893) running in an iocage jail on my primary NAS (TrueNAS 12.0-U3).
Now, under System \ Status, I have this message:

Please upgrade to the .NET Core version of Radarr

Has anyone done that? Does anyone know how?
Am I even supposed to?
Why?

dnilgreb

Contributor
The version number is indeed 3.1.0.4893. I double checked.
I got it from updating via System \ Updates in the Radarr GUI
The message is still there.

FrankNAS

Contributor
What version of dotNET Core is it using?
Screenshot 2021-04-22 010933.png

It should look something like that

dnilgreb

Contributor
It´s not running .NET. It´s mono still:
radarr-about.PNG

FrankNAS

Contributor
ah! I see now. Radarr team did publish a Mono version of that.
As of right now there is no official pkg/port of the dotnet version. You can: ignore the message until the port maintainer migrates over, manually download and install the tarball, or use the experimental package.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Are you saying that, in time, the upgrade/switch to .NET will happen via the GUI Status \ Updates? Or will I have to do something more manual than that once it´s released into pkg/ports or whatever?
Any harm in waiting? Any gain?

FrankNAS

Contributor
The Mono version has very different dependencies than the dotNET version. There is no way for the built in updater to move from Mono to dotNET.
The switch would need to be made by the person that currently maintains the official port: https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/radarr/
The tarball found here: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/releases/tag/v3.1.0.4893 is for people that want to setup on their own or would rather not deal a package. I have made an installable package for dotNET radarr that covers dependencies, service file, and ownership but it is still not for people who used the TrueNAS/FreeNAS GUI to install Radarr as TrueNAS plugins cover things like jail setup that are not covered by a simple package.

There is no real harm waiting if you are not comfortable working with a BSD shell... other than the Radarr team is moving away from Mono to dotNET and eventually you will no longer get updates for Radarr. This switch will (hopefully) happen after there is a way for people using the TrueNAS plugin system to update/migration/install the dotNET version.

The gain is...dotNET is a bit faster as it is native code. Mono 5.10 is very old, Mono 5.20 is the most stable but still very old. I have not experienced it, but others have issues with Mono 6.8.

My suggestion: wait if you are not comfortable with jail creation in FreeBSD and/or not comfortable using the FreeBSD shell to install packages.

dnilgreb

Contributor
Good answer. Thanks. No, I´ve done it all in the shell, manual install. No problem there. I just don´t know exactly how to go about it, couldn´t find a decent guide or anything like that.
Your installable package sounds interesting. Can I use that? Where can I find it, and how is it done?

dnilgreb

Contributor
Thanks. I´ll look into it someday. :)

dnilgreb

Contributor