Radarr v3.2 dotnet5 binary / Radarr v4 dotnet6 binary

FrankNAS

Contributor
----------------------------------------------------
THIS IS NOW IN PORTS/PKG. Please see: https://wiki.servarr.com/radarr/installation#freebsd and https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/radarr/
THIS GUIDE IS OBSOLETE!
YOU CAN USE IT AS AN OUTLINE TO PORTING OTHER DOTNET THINGS TO FREEBSD IF YOU WANT :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
With dotNET5 SDK now building unofficially under FreeBSD (see here if you want the 6 year journey https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/14537) other cool things can now run under FreeBSD.
The first one being: Radarr v3.1 branch! https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/tree/develop

tarball: https://radarr.servarr.com/v1/update/nightly/updatefile?os=bsd&arch=x64&runtime=netcore (produced by the Radarr team)
tarball GH: https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/releases/tag/v3.1.0.4893
txz: https://mega.nz/folder/tIpEFSSB#IHx1OjAREnt_Y56PlsKs-g (Software -> Radarrv3-3.1.0.4625_updateable.txz) (produced by me)

Readme:
Code:
for best results: read
for an interesting time: YOLO

REQUIREMENTS:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
requires from OS: jail with "allow_mlock=1" and "allow_raw_sockets=1" jail host should be FreeBSD 11.4 or FreeBSD 12.2 or newer
requires in jail (if not installing from pkg/txz): libunwind icu libinotify openssl ca_root_nss sqlite3 libiconv mediainfo
requires additional symlink if getting launch errors: "ln -s /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so /usr/local/lib/libe_sqlite3"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF UPGRADING FROM NON-DOTNET RADARR:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST!
"pkg remove radarr"

IF USING TXZ:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"pkg install radarr.version.txz"
use "sysrc" to set radarr_enable, radarr_data_dir, radarr_user, and radarr_group if needed.
use "service radarr start"

IF NOT USING TXZ:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
extract ("tar xf" should be fine) Radarr binary blob to: /usr/local/share/ (it should end up as /usr/local/share/Radarr/)
----
set ownership as ONE of:
root:wheel
radarr:radarr

the first prevents updates but is more accurate to how it would be set by pkg or port install.
the second allows for update but in rare instances can cause problems with daemonizing Radarr
not setting ownership will cause all kinds of problems if opted to keep the ones in the blob
----

to run as service: create a "radarr" file with u+x and place in /etc/rc.d/ using the block below
use sysrc to change values to fit your setup, do not edit directly unless know what you are doing
service auto-restarts on crashes and should restart on updates assuming ownership is radarr:radarr

--------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# $FreeBSD$
#
# PROVIDE: radarr
# REQUIRE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: shutdown
#
# Add the following lines to /etc/rc.conf.local or /etc/rc.conf
# to enable this service:
#
# radarr_enable:    Set to YES to enable radarr
#            Default: NO
# radarr_user:    The user account used to run the radarr daemon.
#            This is optional, however do not specifically set this to an
#            empty string as this will cause the daemon to run as root.
#            Default: radarr
# radarr_group:    The group account used to run the radarr daemon.
#            This is optional, however do not specifically set this to an
#            empty string as this will cause the daemon to run with group wheel.
#            Default: radarr
# radarr_data_dir:    Directory where radarr configuration
#            data is stored.
#            Default: /var/db/radarr

. /etc/rc.subr
name=radarr
rcvar=${name}_enable
load_rc_config $name

: ${radarr_enable:="NO"}
: ${radarr_user:="radarr"}
: ${radarr_group:="radarr"}
: ${radarr_data_dir:="/var/db/radarr"}

pidfile="${radarr_data_dir}/${name}_daemon.pid"
pidfile_child="${radarr_data_dir}/${name}_child.pid"
command="/usr/sbin/daemon"

start_precmd=${name}_precmd
radarr_precmd() {
    if [ ! -d ${radarr_data_dir} ]; then
    install -d -o ${radarr_user} -g ${radarr_group} ${radarr_data_dir}
    fi

export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=${radarr_data_dir}
    rc_flags="-r -f -p ${pidfile_child} -P ${pidfile} /usr/local/share/Radarr/Radarr --data=${radarr_data_dir} --nobrowser >> /dev/null 2>&1 ${rc_flags}"

}

run_rc_command "$1"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Differences:
tar: just the binaries. if you want to manage everything yourself and know what they are doing in bsdjail
txz: handles depends, service, permissions, and uses pkg platform. for those like me that are too lazy to setup everything from a tarball

PS. mega link also contains other things that now build under dotnet5 for freebsd AND ARE ALSO EXPERIMENTAL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: APRIL 22 2021:

I plan on splitting the packaging into two different items:
Radarrv3: tracks "master"
Radarrv3-devel: tracks "develop"

THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT IT IS NOW!

Radarrv3: tracks "nightly"
Radarrv3-devel: does not exist.

This will make it more consistent with FreeBSD ports naming.

I will be moving ports/pkg builds off of mega (because reasons) to GH (because easier for fetch,curl,wget,etc):
Currently stores packages that port maintainers have not yet updated and native FreeBSD dotnet programs.

"Develop" versions (as tarball) can now be directly downloaded from Radarr's GH

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: MAY 14, 2021:

Packaging transition mentioned earlier this year has now occurred!
Radarrv3: tracks "master"
Radarrv3-devel: tracks "develop"

Tarballs (binary only) can be found both from: https://radarr.video/#downloads-v3-bsd and https://github.com/Radarr/Radarr/releases

Installable txz (binary + service file + depends) can be found on my GH repo: https://github.com/Thefrank/freebsd-port-sooners

Instructions for TrueNAS users that might be less familiar with the general DYI nature of FreeBSD can be found at: https://github.com/Thefrank/freebsd-port-sooners/blob/main/Radarr_Installation_TrueNAS_GUI.md

FreeBSD users: You likely aren't even reading this and already have everything setup to your liking ;)

Unless some new issues pop up, this should be stable enough for anyone to use. I will keep an eye on this topic but radarr's discord server is better for getting general support. There is a #bsd-builds channel if there is something specific to BSD that needs addressing; my GH repo works too if you don't like discord.

Last edited:

Sonimo

Cadet
Yup, definitely a success. I installed via txz and it works like a charm :)

ornias

Wizard
I've done some tests on this back in the jailman days.
Back in 11.3 this wouldn't work, due to how used memory was handled differently between linux, and freebsd 11.2/FreeNAS 11.3.
Luckily iX ported some changes which made it work in 12.0.

But to be clear: This most likely won't work on FreeNAS 11.3

Nimmsis

Cadet
Works great. thx for this.

@FrankNAS is it possible to get some kind of guide for ombi aswell?
I have a feeling you are Thefrank, if that is the case, thank you for your contributions to get .NET core to FreeBSD.

sretalla