Please review this build

Big Data Guy

Dabbler
I am planning to buy this spec to build a mini-ITX with 64GB RAM and 6 SATA. Do you think this is a good idea?

ASRock Z390M-ITX/ac Motherboard
Intel i3-9100
Patriot 64GB 3600MHz DDR4
3x WD RED 8TB
3x Ironwolf 8TB

Thanks for your time.

pschatz100

Guru
Not really.
  • The board doesn't support ECC RAM
  • Max RAM capacity is 32GB - no point in buying 64GB
  • The extra features, such as sound and wi-fi will be wasted
Will it work for FreeNAS? Yes. If you really want 64GB RAM, then No - the board maxes out at 32GB.

If I were making this investment, I would use a motherboard that supports ECC RAM.

Big Data Guy

Dabbler
Will it work for FreeNAS? Yes. If you really want 64GB RAM, then No - the board maxes out at 32GB.

If I were making this investment, I would use a motherboard that supports ECC RAM.
I found the information on ASROCK website says that it supports 64GB RAM, but anyway as this is for home setup, is it really important to have ECC? I don't mind if the server down once in a month.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The purpose of ECC isn't to enhance system uptime. It's for data reliability in RAM, so single-bit errors get corrected automatically before those bits get written to disk.

pschatz100

Guru
I found the information on ASROCK website says that it supports 64GB RAM, but anyway as this is for home setup, is it really important to have ECC? I don't mind if the server down once in a month.
Yes, it looks like you are correct about the memory capacity. Most of the web sites mention 32GB max, but perhaps they meant 32GB max per stick, as the motherboard only has two memory slots.

There is a sticky in the Hardware section under FreeNAS Help & Support that discusses why ECC RAM matters. If you don't care, then go for it.

However, you did ask for comments and you have them.

Good luck.