Please review my first build

benjja

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I'm planing my first build and would be very thankful if someone could give my some feedback on it:

Motherboard:
X11SSM-F (used or new)

CPU:
E3-1230 V6 (used) or if I can find a cheap one, a E3-1280 V6 (used)

Memory:
4x Integral 16GB DDR4-2400 CL17 (new)

Boot drives:
2x Intel SSD DC S3500 Series 80 GB (used)

Data drives:
8x WD60EFZX (new) or cheap WD80EFZX (used)

SLOG drive(?):
Intel Optane Memory H10 16GB + 256GB (new)

Storage-Controller:
IBM - 90Y4556 - Lenovo ServeRAID M1015 (used)

M.2 Card (?):
SuperMicro PCIe M.2 Adapter (AOC-SLG3-2M2) (used or new)

Case:
2HE Supermicro Server CSE-825 (used) or Fantec SRC-2080X07 (new)

Power Supply:
Seasonic SS-400H2U 400W (new)

I will mainly use the server as a replacement for all the data drives from the times when I was a photojournalist. Additionally it will be used as a backup target and as NFS-Storage.

As for the RAIDZ setup, I thought of a RAIDZ2 of six drives and a mirror of the remaining two as NFS-Storage?
The only two fixed parts are the Mainboard, and the SSD. The mainboard, because I want to use coreboot. And the SSDs because they were outrageously cheap.

What do you think, is it a feasible setup?

craigdt

Explorer
Most of the parts look good.

Memory: No model number specified, but are you going to use Unbuffered ECC ?

M.2 Card: Maybe someone else can comment on this one as I have no experience with m.2 in TrueNas yet...

Power Supply: I have a feeling this is a little on the low wattage side based on power draw for initial startup.

Also if you don't mind a little extra $$$ maybe also look into redundant power supplies, but non-redundant is fine as well. My next future build will have one...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Power Supply:
Seasonic SS-400H2U 400W (new)

benjja

Cadet
With a calculator I found somewhere I got a number like 325W. But I understand now, that even if this number is correct, it's too low.

thomas-hn

Explorer
With a calculator I found somewhere I got a number like 325W. But I understand now, that even if this number is correct, it's too low.
My question was not about the maximum power consumption, but instead about the minimum power consumption when the system is in idle.