PLEASE HELP! I've lost all my media on my FreeNAS box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpl0sive

Cadet
Hi All,

New member here and fairly new to FreeNAS. Hoping someone can help me. I've just upgraded to the latest version of FreeNAS and installed the MiniDLNA plugin, and have spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the bloody thing to work!

Now, while doing some testing with the app, I set up a mounting point and noticed it copies my media from the source location to the destination within the jail directory. I looked and noticed 2 copies of my library, one in the original location and one in the jail directory. I made some changes and wanted to see if the files would copy over, so I deleted the media within the jail directory so that it would be empty, but to my horror it emptied my original media directory! Is there some way I can recover this data? I'm really desperate as I don't have a backup.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
They are not copies, they are the same data on two different mount points...

No, you cannot recover this data... unless you had snapshot tasks set up...

xpl0sive

Cadet
didn't have snapshots set up as I didn't know about them until this happened unfortunately (still new to ZFS). So there's no recovery tools I can use to retrieve this data?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You are kinda out of luck :( This is why you should ALWAYS make backups.

This is the second thread in 24 hours where people made mistakes where data was lost or almost lost(saved because of an offsite backup). Maybe the end of the world is coming soon. <rushes to make a backup of my data>

xpl0sive

Cadet
That sucks. Thanks anyways guys.

I checked afterwards and turns out it was just 1 folder containing 41 movies. Still annoying, but I can live with it. Will probably look into a backup solution now, especially for the more important stuff, just in case lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.