Please help a noob with some (very) basic sharing permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarinos

Cadet
Hi

I'm running FreeNAS 8.0.4.

The system has one 500GB drive mounted as BIGONE.

One BIGONE I have one CIFS share called FREENAS8.

I have myself setup as a user with full access but I want to configure another user with read-only access. This will be for my HTPC to access the files on FREENAS8. For reference, lets call this user TV. I'm ok with TV being able to access all data on FREENAS8 but I only want TV to have read-only access.

I have tried to configure this but I can't seem to get TV setup without full access.

I hope this can be done using only the GUI as I have no command line skills.

Would anybody be willing to guide me through the process?

Many MANY thanks in advance.

Stephens

Patron
I could be completely wrong, but here's how I understand it...

How did you give yourself full access? Did you make yourself the owner user of the dataset? Or are you a member of the owner group? Or did you just give read/write to "Other"? Long story short, I believe if you give yourself read/write via participation in the owner group (whatever you set that to be, it can be one you create, or you can participate in more than one), you can then define Other as "read only". Since nobody but you would be either the owner user or participate in the owner group, they would get "other" access.

Code:
         owner  group   other
   read    *      *       *
  write    *      *
execute    *      *

tmarinos

Cadet
How did you give yourself full access?

I don't know.

I created two users, tmarinos & TV. They can both browse the entire share (ok with me) and have full read/write access. User tmarinos is part of the "wheel" group, can't remember what I set TV as, I think it was "nobody" perhaps, but I have no understanding of what these groups mean...

Stephens

Patron
Better yet... read protosd's well-written FAQ on the issue. It's time well invested. Come back if you still have specific questions.

tmarinos

Cadet
Thanks, just checked it out but it doesn't relate to what I'm trying to achieve.

Stephens

Patron
It explains what you said you don't understand (how groups work). My first response answered what you need to do. Remove "Write" and "Execute" permission from the "Other" column.
That should take care of it as long as "TV" user isn't in the "wheel" group (that group is probably the group owner of the dataset/share. You may have to disable the CIFS service and renable it for the changes to take effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.