playon - has anyone used it on freenas yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewjs18

Contributor
has anyone used playon on their freenas server yet? playon: https://www.playon.tv/

I'm trying to utilize my freenas server in more ways than just for backups. I'm currently in the process of ditching cable and using a streaming service. Apparently playon will allow you to record streaming shows and act like a DVR where it can record live shows, record series, etc., etc. It looks like it's built for windows, but I do not want to keep a windows machine running when I already have the freenas server running 24/7/365. I supposed I could put windows in a VM if there weren't any other alternatives...

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Intriguing. Netflix has gone through considerable trouble to make sure their streaming content is not gankable, so this is a surprising development to me. I would have assumed this is illegal (or questionable), and not in compliance with Netflix's contracts with studios.

Who knew!

andrewjs18

Contributor
Intriguing. Netflix has gone through considerable trouble to make sure their streaming content is not gankable, so this is a surprising development to me. I would have assumed this is illegal (or questionable), and not in compliance with Netflix's contracts with studios.

Who knew!

yeah, I'm not too sure as well, but it seems 100% legit. I think directv now (streaming service I'm testing out) was actually using playon until they decided to roll their own. whenever they release their DVR out of beta, supposedly they're going to offer 100 hours of DVR space for $10/month. That's not too bad, but if I can use playon and my freenas to do what directv now's DVR can do, with about 10TB of disk space, then I'll do it. I think playon has a lifetime license fee of $30 currently!

I have a support request in with playon to see if they have a solution for using their media server on freenas without stuffing windows into a VM. I'll share what they say when they get back to me!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

toadman

Guru
To my knowledge Plex won't record from a streaming service. It does record from supported digital tuners (over the air and/or cable card). So I don't think it has the same functionality as Playon.

I suppose you could import the recorded .mp4 files into Plex if you wanted to. But I've never tried it.

andrewjs18

Contributor
To my knowledge Plex won't record from a streaming service. It does record from supported digital tuners (over the air and/or cable card). So I don't think it has the same functionality as Playon.

I suppose you could import the recorded .mp4 files into Plex if you wanted to. But I've never tried it.

I currently have a digital tv tuner card in my current HTPC that records live TV. my goal is to dump cable and switch to a streaming service completely. the best one that I found that suits my needs, channel wise, is directv now. the only downside is their DVR only allows for 20 hours of recordings while in beta and once they move it out of beta, they'll offer 100 hours for $10/month. that's not bad, but when I have about 10TB of disk space on my freenas not being used, I'd rather utilize it.

I heard back from playon a few days ago. their media server has to be ran from a windows box. I suppose I'll be spinning up a windows VM on freenas to see how it does! I've never actually ran a VM on freenas...any tips?! :)

PhilipS

Contributor
I used to use Playon (with windows media center) until my "lifetime" subscription expired. :rolleyes:

andrewjs18

Contributor
I used to use Playon (with windows media center) until my "lifetime" subscription expired. :rolleyes:

how is that even possible?!!?!?!

that aside, how did you like it? did you use it record any streaming tv?

PhilipS

Contributor
how is that even possible?!!?!?!

that aside, how did you like it? did you use it record any streaming tv?

Yeah, they needed more money I guess, so they discontinued one product and created a new one - so there you go - fool me once.....

This was way back with Windows Vista when media center came out - I can't remember all the details, but I think I primarily used it to watch Hulu and Netflix in media center at the time - no recording - it was a bit of a headache as they were chasing a moving target so it needed constant updates. Now I just use a Roku and life is simpler.

andrewjs18

Contributor
Yeah, they needed more money I guess, so they discontinued one product and created a new one - so there you go - fool me once.....

This was way back with Windows Vista when media center came out - I can't remember all the details, but I think I primarily used it to watch Hulu and Netflix in media center at the time - no recording - it was a bit of a headache as they were chasing a moving target so it needed constant updates. Now I just use a Roku and life is simpler.

I hear ya! I'm currently stuck on windows 7 because of windows media center. and the tv tuner I use (ceton 4).. I don't think windows has a media center in windows 10.

PhilipS

Contributor
Nope media center went out with Windows 8, too bad, as you know it was actually a decent program/interface and I liked the extender idea. I used a HD Homerun network tuner with QAM channels from my basic cable service - I canceled that went full streaming and now just use Roku's. Much simpler, no more wasted nights troubleshooting why the TV won't work.

andrewjs18

Contributor
Nope media center went out with Windows 8, too bad, as you know it was actually a decent program/interface and I liked the extender idea. I used a HD Homerun network tuner with QAM channels from my basic cable service - I canceled that went full streaming and now just use Roku's. Much simpler, no more wasted nights troubleshooting why the TV won't work.

there's a bunch of streaming services now if you're still wanting some cable tv. check out directv now. $35/month for 60+ channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.