pid 96383 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
I did have a quick search, but couldn't find anything that looked vaguely up to date.

I've started getting this message on a fairly regular basis, I think since the last Plex update, and whilst Plex appears to be still working fine and is scanning for new media regularly, I'd like to try and understand what's causing it, and fix if possible.

Code:
Dec  5 22:07:16 freenas1 kernel: pid 94976 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11
Dec  5 22:09:52 freenas1 kernel: pid 96382 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11
Dec  5 22:09:52 freenas1 kernel: pid 96383 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11

Some older posts seemed to suggest this could be a sign of bad memory, although again everything has been working perfectly for many months.

Any ideas?

Thanks

adrianwi

Guru
Last edited:

StarkJohan

Explorer
I'm not on that exact build ATM but I've been noticing the same errors last few months. Haven't really tried solving it yet but everything seems to be working just fine.

m0nkey_

MVP
Seeing the same issue on the latest Plex Pass version (1.3.something).

Im also noticing it. Latest versions FN and PMS, dedicated jail, non plex pass version compiled from ports. Agree that everything seems to work fine though.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I get the same error. Just waiting for a fix.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Same here, waiting for the latest release to hit the repository to see if it fixes it.

There is a new PMS update out, not in port tree yet. Also, I just noticed this in the new Sonarr update release notes.. Wonder if this has anything to do with it without reading into it too much. Keep eye on Freshports..

New Validate PMS version before performing a library update
New Telegram notifications
Fixed Partial library updates for Plex Media Server 1.3.1+
Fixed Error handling of valid, empty responses from Plex Media Server
Fixed Parsing of some Plex server responses before 1.3
Fixed Lingering Socks5 Proxy sockets when proxy is using dynamic ips

adrianwi

Guru
I've got 2 PMS jails running - one with the latest public version and another running the DVR beta. I updated the DVR jail to beta 4 last night and it appears to have cured the messages, so my guess is it was coming from there. Didn't do anything with the public jail as still not updated in freshports yet.

For all interested, the newest PMS is in the ports tree. Not sure yet if it resolves the scanner/log issue.

adrianwi

Guru
1.3.3 hasn't fixed it for me, but as everything still appears to be working not too much of a problem :D

Agree, its still happening here for me as well. Yesterday I was reworking a few things, so while I was at it I blew away my Plex jail and reinstalled everything, rebuilt my libraries, but to no avail:

Dec 19 14:16:46 freenas kernel: pid 93690 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11
Dec 19 14:33:56 freenas kernel: pid 94547 (Plex Media Scanner), uid 972: exited on signal 11

Started getting it almost immediately, all the way through just now..

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So I noticed that everyone who does have this problem is running as user: plex with UID of 972, including myself. I suspect this is not the owner of the FreeNAS datasets. Based on the post HERE (thanks Joshua Parker Ruehlig) I switched my default PLEX user to the FreeNAS dataset owner. And so far I have not seen any more errors. I will keep this thread posted on results later this evening, as I am currently doing a full scan of my PLEX libraries. I have not had the error yet. If anyone else wants to give it a go, here is what I have done.

1. Find the owners USER and ID of your PLEX media directories, my example (USER: JBD, UID: 1001). This can be done from the GUI.
Code:
ls -l /mnt/TANK/DATASET

2. Stop PMS before doing any of this. SSH in to your FreeNAS box and enter your PLEX jail. Then run.
Code:
service plexmediaserver stop

3. Add this user to your PLEX jail.

pw useradd -n USER -u UID -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin

4. Change ownership of /usr/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/ to this user.
chown -R USER:GROUP /user/local/plexdata/Plex\ Media\ Server/

5. Edit your rc.conf like so.
nano /etc/rc.conf

6. Add the following lines like so.
Code:
portmap_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
hostname="plex"
devfs_enable="YES"
devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"
inet6_enable="YES"
ip6addrctl_enable="YES"
rtsold_enable="YES"
ifconfig_epair2b_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv auto_linklocal"
plexmediaserver_enable="YES"
plexmediaserver_user="USER" 
plexmediaserver_group="GROUP"

Then CNTRL X and Y to save

7. Start up PLEX again
service plexmediaserver start

8. Verify the PLEX processes are running as your specified USER
q to exit

9. Do some scanning of your PLEX libraries and see if you get any more of these errors.
This is an interesting observation. I have folders that get scanned by plex that don't allow read permissions on them. This might be what is causing the issue.

No dice. I just got another one of the Signal 11 errors. It was looking promising there for a couple hours.

Yep its a mystery as of now. I cannot see any real issues other than the error itself. The scanner crashes but always finishes as it should. Everything works as it should it seems to me.

I did notice that the scanner didnt crash until it was around time for it to download posters and such and then it fills up the logs. You can start a scan and initially it goes fine, but when it scrapes, it fills the logs with crashes.

cmh

Explorer
Today I didn't have the signal 11 in my security emails. Today it was signal 10. Had to look that one up. SIGBUS.

¯\_(°_o)_/¯

Maybe tomorrow it'll be 9... and in two weeks it'll be all fixed? :D

Moppen

Dabbler
Sorry, maybe I don't get it, but:

Is this being adressed? Will it be fixed? Is there a timeframe of when this will be fixed?

Is there a workaround? Because no new TV Show is being correctly processed since the End auf 2016?

Is there something I can do to help fix this and if yes, what'll it be?

Thanx for any answers, help and of course a fix to this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.