Pick the right pool for the job

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAID 10 vs RAID 0 with 6 disks should be pretty similar. RAID Z2 OTOH should be noticeably different.

Right raid 10 and raid0 is similar but raid0 should be on theory twice faster.
Raid10 will read from 3 virtual disk(mirrors) simultaneous, and raid0 should be able to read from 6 individual disks simultaneously. You would assume naturally it will be twice faster, but it's barely faster.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So did you decide on what pool to pick for your media server?

So did you decide on what pool to pick for your media server?

Right now I am for one pool made with 2 vdevs ( raidz2 with 8 drives). But till I get the drives I am open for suggestions for any better way to use 16 drives.

I ju
I've got to throw a coach's challenge. :) Take a look at these test results. I think something might have skewed your results.

http://zfsguru.com/forum/buildingyourownzfsserver/570#5242 (the x-axis in the graphs below is # of drives).

View attachment 7873

View attachment 7874

View attachment 7875

View attachment 7876

I just want to tell you how much I love this charts and the link. These are actual test , not a synthetic benchmarks like this dd comand everybody is doing. If you know more places like that I can look , please send them my way.:)

joeschmuck

Old Man
Right now I am for one pool made with 2 vdevs ( raidz2 with 8 drives). But till I get the drives I am open for suggestions for any better way to use 16 drives.
It's just a bit of overkill in my opinion for a home media server, well unless you are streaming to the internet and it's a business venture where you cannot afford to have any data loss.

It's just a bit of overkill in my opinion for a home media server, well unless you are streaming to the internet and it's a business venture where you cannot afford to have any data loss.

It's a little bit overkill for home use, but see I am a big movie fan and a geek , I like to keep movies in native blu-ray format to get the best possible quality and that could take up to 47GB a movie. I have a nice A/V setup and mediacenter and I wouldn't consider transcoded stream quality , plex , or netflix stuff.

Plus is good to have enough space and keep pool under 80% (from what I know about freenas recommendations)

Status
Not open for further replies.