Permissions issues with 11.2-U4.1

burakkusensei

Dabbler
I updated from 11.2-U3 to 11.2-U4.1 yesterday, and I really wish I hadn't. It wrecked all my jail mounts, and even though I rolled back to 11.2-U3 and recreated the mounts, I now have what seems to be a permissions problem with the external dataset connected to them. My plugins can access it, but can't write to it (e.g. Transmission gives a permission denied error) and nothing I do seems to change this.

The dataset was set up to give read/write privileges to anyone. I've tried repropagating permissions in the FreeNAS GUI and I've tried chown 777 but that hasn't had any effect. I'm not very knowledgeable, but I've been using my current setup for a while now without any problems like this and I can't identify what's caused the change. It's driving me crazy and I'd be very grateful if someone more knowledgeable than me could give me some advice.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I highly doubt this has anything to do with the upgrade. You can start by sharing what permissions you have. Both inside the jail and outside, as well as the user running your service.

burakkusensei

Dabbler
I probably messed somethng up while I was trying to make the jail mounts work, but I don't know what.

I have a dataset 'Tank' with Unix ACL. It's owned by a new user 'user' and group 'user'. In the FreeNAS GUI I set the mode to allow read, write and execute for anyone and apply recursively, but if I leave the edit permissions screen and come back Write is unchecked for 'Other'. In that dataset I have a folder called 'Torrents'. 

The permissions list as:
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 777 user 2 May 17 10:17 Torrents

In the root of a Transmission jail I have a folder called 'torrents' that is mounted to this 'Torrents' folder. Its permissions list as
drwxr-xr-x 2 777 wheel 2 May 17 10:24 torrents

If I start downloading a torrent, Transmission gives me 'Error: Permission denied' error for the directory.

Before I just set permissions in the pool using the FreeNAS GUI and I was good to go, so I guess I don't really understand the complexity of whatever problem I have now.

burakkusensei

Dabbler
I've just gone and done some more reading on jail permissions and realised I need to create a group in the jail with the pool user in it, so the problem was just me being ignorant. But it's weird that I've been using this system for months without doing that and it's been fine. Anyway, it seems to be working now, but thanks for trying to help.