issues with 11.2-U4.1

VioletDragon

Patron
Hi,

I recently posted about logging into the Web Gui and causes the link to come offline. now im facing a issue when transferring a single file or a few files im getting 115mbs for about 10 mins then all of a sudden the speed goes to too hardly nothing only getting 30 to 50mbs from 115mbs i never use to have this problem only started happening when upgrading to 11.2-U4.1 this is not good at all.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You upgraded to 11.2-U4.1 from what version? Have you tried to go back to the previous version to see if that helped?

Often an upgrade will require more resources so while you have the minimum amount of RAM, it is the minimum for a reason. I'm not saying that is the problem here, there are many factors that can make file access slow.

Is this problem mainly for reading or writing files? Or doesn't care?

Look at the Swap File size as well (Reporting/Memory/Swap), if it's a large value (Used Max) then you may be experiencing a RAM shortage as you are swapping data from RAM to the hard drives swap file in order to run FreeNAS.

If you are transferring a lot of small files, that can cause it as well.

If your pool is 90% full you can be in the optimized writing mode. (pretty sure it's not 80%).

VioletDragon

Patron
You upgraded to 11.2-U4.1 from what version? Have you tried to go back to the previous version to see if that helped?

Often an upgrade will require more resources so while you have the minimum amount of RAM, it is the minimum for a reason. I'm not saying that is the problem here, there are many factors that can make file access slow.

Is this problem mainly for reading or writing files? Or doesn't care?

Look at the Swap File size as well (Reporting/Memory/Swap), if it's a large value (Used Max) then you may be experiencing a RAM shortage as you are swapping data from RAM to the hard drives swap file in order to run FreeNAS.

If you are transferring a lot of small files, that can cause it as well.

If your pool is 90% full you can be in the optimized writing mode. (pretty sure it's not 80%).

Hi,

Thanks for you reply. I upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2 and thats when the issue started, i did a re-installation on a new SSD but the problem remains SWAP is not being used and my Pool is 50% used.

However it seems to be on certain Sizes and Files that seems to be a problem i backed up a VM image that was about 350GB and it was perfectly fine on the transfer until it got around 250GB then the speed went from 115mbs to around 90mbs it seems to be when the disks are catching up with the transfers.

I recently changed to Server grade hardware with a Xeon and ECC RAM i know that the RAM is not bad i also have a LAGG interface setup.

Writing certains files seems to be a issue. Reading files is perfectly fine.

joeschmuck

Old Man
So 90mbs is not bad at all, it's likely a limitation of your pool configuration. What you are describing typically would happen in any version of FreeNAS where the RAM will cache the LAN data and once the cache fills up you have to contend with the speed of your hard drives. But if you drop to 30 to 50 mbs then you could have other bottlenecks or a bad LAN cable/switch. Typically if things are working very well in the beginning such as 115mbs and then drop off, it's a shortage of RAM or pool issue (pool type/configuration, too full). But with all that said, if you can roll back to the previous version and verify the results were good (don't just use your memory), then I'd submit a bug report and be very detailed in it.

Good Luck.

VioletDragon

Patron
So 90mbs is not bad at all, it's likely a limitation of your pool configuration. What you are describing typically would happen in any version of FreeNAS where the RAM will cache the LAN data and once the cache fills up you have to contend with the speed of your hard drives. But if you drop to 30 to 50 mbs then you could have other bottlenecks or a bad LAN cable/switch. Typically if things are working very well in the beginning such as 115mbs and then drop off, it's a shortage of RAM or pool issue (pool type/configuration, too full). But with all that said, if you can roll back to the previous version and verify the results were good (don't just use your memory), then I'd submit a bug report and be very detailed in it.

Good Luck.

Whats the best way to roll back? Also there is something not right with the LAGG interface. Ive given it a 192.168.1.1 IP but on the dash board it shows its 181. This is a issue ive had since updating.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-22 14-44-35.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-22 14-44-35.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Screenshot from 2019-06-22 14-44-49.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-22 14-44-49.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 197

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have no experience with LAGG, maybe this is part of your problem.

Rolling back, read the user guide for help on that. I don't run 11.2 on my system so the steps I give you may be wrong. The User Guide will help.