Permissions Issue with AFP and CIFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

stbeh

Cadet
Hi,

I'm using FreeNas 8.03 x64,
I'm having problem with the network sharing and user permission.

The server config as follows:-
- intel core i3 2100
- asus p67 motherboard
- ati graphic card
- 4 x 2TB Western Digital AV harddisk

My company computer configuration listed as follows:-
4 PC - All windows XP - USING SAMBA
iMac 1 - Mac OS 10.6.8
iMac 2 - Mac OS 10.5.8
iMac 3 - Mac OS 10.5.5
PowerMac G5 - Mac OS 10.4.9

Mac using AFP.
However, i cannot make it connect when mac start up.

I would like to config all my computer connect using NFS. (should be faster than AFP and CIFS?)

Now, i have permission issue.
How can i remove permission on all the folder and make them to able to read and write by everyone?

I need all the file and folder can be read and write over all the computer in the network.
What is the best way to do?

NeilP

Dabbler
I would love to know this as well.

despite this appearing to be my fist post, ...umm well ..lost my old loggin ..no idea what it was and i cant recover the old username and password since the Captcha verification images are all so incomprehensible that I can't get the system to re send username and password ...20 or 30 re tries and still can't read the image.

I have used FreeNAS 7 for a few years now , with a Mac and CIFS, with All users on the Mac network seeing the shares and being able to read/write to them all. My new hardware won't play happily with 7 so i had to move up to 8, but now I just can not work out how to create shares that everyone can see....Well I have them visible, but as soon as something like Chronosync ( a backup utility) writes to the shared AFP drive, then other users just get the red and white "stop no access" symbol on folder created by other users .

I tried setting the volumes with the propagate permissions ticked ,and all users, groups others/world etc set as full permissions 777 but it does not work..so i assume there is some other overriding directory create mask coming in to play somewhere and changing permissions as files and folders are created, then when you get the really useful messages saying contact the administrator ...I am the sole administrator...and I want full access to all files and folders and I just cant get it. I have been at this now for 12 hours today, and most of yesterday, and I am getting to the point of physical violence ...

Sorry for the rant but it is really getting to me

Status
Not open for further replies.