Permissions - CIFS won't pull user or group from the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Not getting anywhere with this. Can someone please call me on skype and help me sort this out? My skype name is mike.3dynamic

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Tell us what all the settings are for the CIFS Share (Advanced Mode).

Also, let me know if the time is different between the FreeNAS Server and Windows Machine(s)?

Lastly, what AntiVirus software are you running?

Wallybanger

Contributor
CIFS Settings.jpg

I also have 2 other shares. The only differences being one has "Apply Default Permissions" set and the other one is "Browsable to network clients". I can access both of them with the Owner(User) but both have the same issue with group permissions and not being able to add users to the permissions over the network.

It looks like my FreeNAS box is 4 seconds faster than my windows machine but I don't know of any fancy CLI ways to check, I just refreshed the system information page with my Windows clock page open.

The AV I'm running is Avira and I've tried disabling it but that didn't do anything either.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Just set Windows to synchronize the clock with the FreeBSD NTP server so the times are now the same. Didn't help, but at least it's one less thing....

Wallybanger

Contributor
Enable "Local Master", which should have been there by default.
Done. No dice. And it still asks me for a user: pass when I hit the "Check Names" button in Win7. Based on other chitchat I believe that is significant...(?)

Wallybanger

Contributor
Hrm, I just installed a fresh copy of Win7 Enterprise on a VM and the enumerations works just fine. If anyone has any idea why this might be the case, please let me know.

Wallybanger

Contributor
I read something recently where it was said that that the Devs won't help with permissions. That was entirely accurate. You will get no help with permissions. Not entirely sure who FreeNAS was designed for because it seems like the people who know FreeBSD don't need it and the people who don't know FreeBSD can't use it.

Mirfster

Well seeing as how the permissions worked fine on a fresh install of Win 7 for you and do not on the other machine; I would say that this is not a FreeNAS issue. There are a tons of potential things it could be, but way too many for us to really delve into here. Sorry to say, but perhaps your focus should be on the Windows side instead?

Only other thing that comes to mind is if the cached credentials are using some other account you previously used to connect to the share? For this, the easiest (not quickest) thing to do would be to "disconnect" the mapped drive, reboot and then connect to the share with the appropriate credentials that have ability to change the share permissions ...

*** Easy way is to use "Net Use /Delete *" command to disconnect all mapped drives...

Wallybanger

Contributor
You're right. I was just frustrated with the whole problem and being irritated with windows networking problems isn't a foreign concept by any stretch of the imagination. Thank for you trying to help, no insult intended. Obviously any scorn should be directed at MS and it's turd of an operating system. In their defense, windows does seem to be getting better.... it's just the networking stuff that is antiquated.

I apologize for venting my n00b frustration.

Mirfster

Wallybanger

Contributor
No worries. I understand the frustration. Glad you at least have it working in a VM and see that the rights do work as described here.
Yeah, the weird thing is that I used the Win7 VM to set the permissions on my operational FreeNAS server and then I'm able to log in with Group permissions on the actual Win7 machine that was being a pain. So that POS install is able to access the Users within the Group with access but for some reason it can't enumerate Users or Groups to give them permissions. Weird.

And yeah, when things are working correctly they work exactly as you guys said they would. I think that's why it was so frustrating.... I didn't realize how simple it was actually supposed to be and that I was so obviously dealing with a Win7 problem.

That said, I really do feel like all of the permissions should be set on the FreeNAS side. It would be awesome if there was a similar (to win7) interface which you could use to add User and Group permissions within FreeNAS that would work for both Windows and Unix permissions. The server is doing the work, it should be the gate keeper. I really don't like using Windows to set the permissions. One thing that it makes me wonder about is whether a Unix user could access the CIFS share and change things.....

Stux

MVP
I have been fighting with this bloody thing all afternoon now. I've read the docs, searched the forums and searched google with no luck. If the answer is out there, I can't find it.

I have a bunch of shares set up. With default FreeNAS permissions I can access them all, no problem, with the corresponding owner user and users within the owner group. I can change the specific permissions for the owner user and owner group from within windows. I can change the owner user and owner group within FreeNAS and it updates in Windows. Cool!

HOWEVER I can NOT add new users or new groups from within windows. I was following this guys guide and everything works perfect except I can't add users/groups using the windows security panel as he does. He makes it look really easy and I get a supremely irritating error:

https://youtu.be/QhwOyLtArw0?t=6m48s

View attachment 13613

I get the same error regardless of whether I'm searching for a group or user BUT I can set those groups or users as the Owner Group or Owner User and those changes are easily reflected.

As far as I can tell, not being able to add other groups or users will REALLY limit my ability to set up multiple groups or users with different read/write privileges.

Is this a bug or am I screwing something up?

I had this issue too.

The trick was that "users" doesn't seem to work as a group name, at least not in my Windows 10 v1607. It goes through all the motions, but then throws up that error you have.

Rename the group to "allusers" and it will just work.

I suspect this might be because "Users" and "Everyone" etc are special nouns or something.

Wallybanger

Contributor
I had this issue too.

The trick was that "users" doesn't seem to work as a group name, at least not in my Windows 10 v1607. It goes through all the motions, but then throws up that error you have.

Rename the group to "allusers" and it will just work.

I suspect this might be because "Users" and "Everyone" etc are special nouns or something.
That sounds like a valid point but I ended up deleting that group and using a group named "ServerUsers" and that didn't work either.

Wallybanger

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.