Permissions Issue - Not Sure What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new FreeNAS user and have spent hours upon hours pouring over documentation and reading forum posts and I cannot figure out what's going on.

I will include all the details of my setup below, but here is the basic summary. I have two users, User A and User B. There are two groups, users and superusers. UserA is in both "users" and "superusers", while UserB is only in the "users" group.

I have created a single ZFS volume with two ZFS datasets. The UserAShare has an owner of "superusers", while the UserBShare has an owner of "users". The members of "superusers" should have access to UserAShare, while the members of "users" should have access to UserBShare.

The permissions for UserAShare are fine. UserA, in the "superusers" group, can access and UserB cannot, because UserB is not in the "superusers" group.

The problem comes up with UserBShare. UserBShare has the owner group of "users", meaning UserA and UserB should have access because they are both in the "users" group. However, only UserA can access the UserBShare. UserB is in the "users" group, however UserB cannot access the UserBShare.

The way we are accessing our shares are from Windows 7 PCs. We map network drives and specify different credentials (the credentials on the FreeNAS box). I have tried mapping the drive from various PCs, some with matching names to the FreeNAS users, some with names completely different. The behavior is the same. I can always map to UserBShare as User A, but I can't as UserB.

I have searched through the Wiki, reading all I can about users, groups and permissions with no luck. I have read as many threads as I could find on the forums and can't seem to find anything relevant to my issue. It seems like something is not right here. Both users are in the group, however only one can access a share that the group is the owner of. All that I have seen documenting permissions says to give users access to the shares with FreeNAS and manage permissions with the host OS, but that is not possible because we do not have standard user IDs across all our networked PCs. We need a standard user ID on the FreeNAS box that we can specify when we map the drive on the respective PCs. We need to rely on FreeNAS to manage permissions.

If anyone needs any more information or clarification, please let me know. I know the standard response for permission issues is to read the documentation and figure it out, but I have done that and can't. Any help would be much appreciated!.

Here's my setup:

Build: FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r12825)
Hardware: Dual core AMD processor, 1TB HDD, 2GB RAM

Users: User A (Administrator), User B (Standard user)
Groups:
superusers - User A
users - User A, User B

ZFS Volumes:
Name - FileShare
Owner (user) - nobody
Owner (group) - users
Permissions - Owner (user): None; Owner (group): Read, Write, Execute; Other: None

ZFS Datasets:
Name - UserAShare
Owner (user) - nobody
Owner (group) - superusers
Permissions - Owner (user): None; Owner (group): Read, Write, Execute; Other: None

Name - UserBShare
Owner (user) - nobody
Owner (group) - users

Windows CIFS:
UserA
UserB

Bump.

Any ideas? I set up an OpenMediaVault box and was able to get what I need up and running in less than an hour, despite it being what I would consider an inferior product with less features, a less mature community, and less documentation. I really would hate to move away from FreeNAS, but it almost feels like there's an invisible force field stopping what I'm trying to do. Creating users, placing them in a group, then assigning a group permissions to a ZFS dataset just does not seem to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.