Permissions And File Duplication Problem

mattnleo

Cadet
Hi There

I will start off by saying i am very new to Freenas/Truenas so if I get something wrong I'm sorry I'm still working my way around it.
I am running Truenas Core 12.0-RC1 on 4 WD Red Pro 10TB in a RAID 0, before anyone says I should do that I no I am for the moment while I get used to Freenas/Truenas
I have a backup on a different server relax I no. I need to get more drives to expand it properly and I will do a better setup once I have them.
I am using Windows 10 Pro computer and connecting to the Truenas machine over SMB.
I have only 2 accounts the root and my account, I use the storage for photos and video for work.

Now my problem I could have set it up some how that's wrong I don't know but I keep getting the same problem with folders and files being locked unable to rename, open, move or look at the properties for the files in windows. The way I have being fixing the problem is by going into the Users/Username/Edit/ then selecting the folder and saving the permissions for each folder that has a blue ACL box next to the folder name in Directories and Permissions. This is annoying as you can guess if I have multiple folders that I need to do this with.
so that's the first part of the problem the second is after I went and fixed the ACL on the 7 folders I have to before posting this I looked in one of the folders and found files from some of the other folders having the same ACL problem had ended up in the wrong folder. Some might think i just moved the videos and photos into the wrong folder but it made copy's of the files and only put some random ones in there.
For example one folder (lets call Project A) had the correct 125 video clips for that project in it but also had copy's from a different folder from a different project (lets call project B) in it and the project B folder had videos from project A but also had photos from a different project again.

I will now have to look over all my folders to make sure the correct files are in the correct folders for every project I have on this Truenas machine before i send the footage to my clients.

Dose anyone know why this is happening and how to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Any help/info could be great, Thanks