Permission Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NASbox

Guru
I'm not new to FreeNAS, but this feels like a very NOOOOOOOBY question and I'm embarrassed to be asking it, but is there any way to set up a pool so that one group (ex: READER) can read-only, and another can read-write (ex: WRITER) and others have no access.

As I understand it with chown/chmod as follows:
OWNER:WRITER 775 - Specified group (WRITER) can read/write, everyone else can read including READER.
OWNER:WRITER 770 - Specified group (WRITER) can read/write, nobody else can read including READER.
OWNER:READER 750 - Specified group (READER) can read, WRITER can not write, but could be made part of group reader to allow read and nobody else can read.

It seems that I am stuck allowing everyone to read, or preventing anyone else from writing if I want to exclude others reading.
Is there something that I'm missing? Is there a work around for this?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What protocol are you using? You would have to use acl's to do something like this.

NASbox

Guru
What protocol are you using? You would have to use acl's to do something like this.
I assume this means cifs? I'm currently using fuse/sshfs mounts from Linux, but at this point I'm still the only user-still building/adding data.

What about nested data sets:
CONTAINER:
OWNER:READER 770 - Specified group (WRITER) member of group reader READER-only READER/WRITER have access.
NESTED DATASET
OWNER:WRITER 775 - Specified group (WRITER) can read/write, everyone else can read including READER, but container restricts access to only READER/WRITER.

Would this work?

Most of my systems are Linux, but there are a couple of Windows boxes. I'm looking at the possibility of a 3rd party client since cifs performance SUCKS big time because of the single threading-about half what I'm getting out of sshfs.

Comments/suggestions?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your way of describing permissions makes zero sense to me. Multiple directories could work but users would not have read access to things that belong to the write group.

Also the single threaded cifs thing is dumb and doesn't affect performance in any noticable way. It's just something uninformed people complain about.

Status
Not open for further replies.