Permission issues on AFP and SMB shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

VlaDeMaN

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I searched for a solution but can't quite figure it out. I have a volume being shared mostly via AFP by macs and one SMB client via Windows. Permissions type on the volume is set to Unix, 775, group owner is the users group i created which all users are part of, user owner is nobody. see attached.

Reason I stay with AFP on the macs is because they seems to fully use the a dual gigabit LACP link to and from the FreeNAS (as well as other servers). SMB 2/3 only utilizes one link.

Here are the problems I'm facing which are always solved by checking the "Set permissions recursively" box:

1. workstation transfers, finishes, Get Info or Properties show 0 bytes and denied access when double clicking on any workstation.
2. workstation transfers, get an access denied error in the middle of transfer (haven't tried checking the recursive box in the middle of a transfer), quit transfer.

Is there a way around this? Am I setting something up wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• permissions.JPG
    permissions.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 255
  • permissions afp.JPG
    permissions afp.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 256
  • permissions smb.JPG
    permissions smb.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 247
  • dataset properties.JPG
    dataset properties.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 268

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Your usage/understanding of lacp is wrong. Afp doesn't use it any better than smb. When using a protocol you need to set the permission type to match the system using it otherwise you will have problems like this.

Most people won't be able to help you solve your problem but try creating datasets and shares to test permission behavior.

VlaDeMaN

Cadet
My usage/understanding of lacp is solid, however, I have no idea why I get 250MB/s with AFP.

I will test permissions with different data sets like you suggested. Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Because it can't be that fast unless you have a network bigger than 1gb, are you using 10gb networking?

Status
Not open for further replies.