Performance whilst being used for CCTV Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriswiggins

Dabbler
Hi all,

Quick intro - long time supporter of FreeNAS but only in the past year have I had the privilege of using it in a commercial setting.

We've got 3 iXSystems FreeNAS-Certified boxes purchased last year to store archived CCTV footage from a Milestone XProtect Corporate VMS system. The platform automatically moves CCTV footage every hour across to these NAS boxes from the SAN that the data is written to initially (this is part of Milestone's Live/Archive architecture).

NAS Configuration (3 identical boxes)
2x E5-2609v4 Xeon CPUs
128GB RAM
1 200GB ZIL (Intel S3710)
1 240GB ARC (Intel DC S3520)
24 HGST 8TB NL-SAS (H4K)
1 Dual-port 10G NIC (DAC version)
LSI 9300-8E SAS HBA

These came preconfigured as 4 x raidz2 vdevs, each vdev with 6 drives.

What we're seeing is an increase in read latency recently as we've added more and more cameras onto the platform and based on what I've read I'm wondering if we'd have been better off with 12 mirrored vdevs. The read latency is causing issues with the playback of footage, causing it to stutter and skip ahead. I've lodged a support case with Milestone and waiting to hear more from them but as expected they've initially pointed the finger at our beloved NAS setup!

We have a 10G Juniper switching network between our servers and NAS boxes, running jumbo frames and we see excellent throughput through it. Milestone is configured to use SMB/CIFS as the file share so there's no iSCSI funny business going on.

I guess what has me looking at the ZFS setup is the alarming amount of pending I/O requests on some of the disks. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it so I'm at a loss as to what could be going on (see attached image). We also don't see the performance bottleneck during periods of no writing activity which is approximately 50% of the time (Milestone is archiving once an hour and this takes about 30 mins)

Any ideas of places to look or things to check would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Attachments

• Pending_IO.png
    Pending_IO.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 355

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The simple fix is to simply add a few more vdevs to give you a bit more IOPS. It's a bit of a brute-force solution, though.

How full is the pool?

chriswiggins

Dabbler
Each pool is nearing on 50% so we’re definitely not running near any capacity limits!

I’ve read all the articles on “only use mirror vdevs” and I’m wondering if I should sort that out sooner rather than later. Just wanting to know if that’ll solve the issue mainly

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I’ve read all the articles on “only use mirror vdevs” and I’m wondering if I should sort that out sooner rather than later. Just wanting to know if that’ll solve the issue mainly
It might provide better performance, but you'd end up needing more storage anyway, so it might be interesting to start with additional RAIDZ2 vdevs and see how they work.

chriswiggins

Dabbler
It might provide better performance, but you'd end up needing more storage anyway, so it might be interesting to start with additional RAIDZ2 vdevs and see how they work.
When we need additional storage we'll add more units, so I don't expect any more storage to be used on these particular boxes in the medium-term, so when you say it might provide better performance, is it something worth trying?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you can try it out without too much trouble, definitely do so.

I think more information might be in order while you were having the playback issue have you monitored the SMB process usage or the disk busy?

chriswiggins

Dabbler
I think more information might be in order while you were having the playback issue have you monitored the SMB process usage or the disk busy?
Thanks for the advice - here's the numbers during playback. I've attached a `top` screenshot, Disk Busy and disk latency as well
smbd hovers around 20% CPU
Disk Busy for the disks in the vdev hover between 10-20%

Attachments

• disk_ops_during_playback.png
    disk_ops_during_playback.png
    106.3 KB · Views: 344
  • latency_during_playback.png
    latency_during_playback.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 336
  • SMB_During_Playback.png
    SMB_During_Playback.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 316

chriswiggins

Dabbler
If you can try it out without too much trouble, definitely do so.
If without too much trouble means very carefully removing 2 disks from each of the 4 RAIDZ2 vdevs and making a stripe, migrating the data to the stripe and then adding the rest of the disks in as a mirror counts, then I guess it's not too much trouble ;) This is why I was hoping to verify how much of a difference this would make :cool:

tvsjr

Guru
How about the output of zpool list and zpool status? I'm wondering if your fragmentation has gone through the roof?

And pulling two drives off running vdevs is a Bad Idea for a production system. $DEITY forbid something happen during that period, how are you going to explain to the boss that you trashed the pool? If you're spending this sort of money on a CCTV system, I assume you have substantial compliance requirements dictating what you're storing... losing that would be Bad. If you are going to do this, I'd suggest migrating the data off to one of the other servers... or buying new drives and building a new test pool.

Out of interest what version of FreeNAS are you running and what FW version have you got on your LSI card?

chriswiggins

Dabbler
Hi Johnny,

We're running 9.10.2-U4 currently. Here is the dmesg | grep mpr output relevant to the firmware:

Code:
mpr0: <Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS3008> port 0x6000-0x60ff mem 0xc7440000-0xc744ffff,0xc7400000-0xc743ffff irq 26 at device 0.0 on pci1
mpr0: IOCFacts  :
mpr0: Firmware: 12.00.02.00, Driver: 15.01.00.00-fbsd
mpr0: IOCCapabilities: 6985c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,IR,MSIXIndex>
mpr1: <Avago Technologies (LSI) SAS3008> port 0x5000-0x50ff mem 0xc7240000-0xc724ffff,0xc7200000-0xc723ffff irq 32 at device 0.0 on pci2
mpr1: IOCFacts  :
mpr1: Firmware: 12.00.00.00, Driver: 15.01.00.00-fbsd
mpr1: IOCCapabilities: 7a85c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf,EEDP,TransRetry,EventReplay,MSIXIndex,HostDisc>

Interestingly, this issue goes away when I reboot however re-appears after approx 24 hours. Not sure if that helps at all!

sretalla