Performance in ESXi 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PANiCnz

Cadet
Has anyone got any tips or pointers for virtualising FreeNAS 8?

I'm running ESXi 5.0.0 on the following hardware but am having a few dramas:

Core i5 2400S
Intel DQ67SW
Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/4G x 2
IBM ServeRAID-BR10i

I'm getting a few IRQ errors, I've managed to reduce these by disabling things like the COM ports and floppy drive controllers in the BIOS, any other options?

Both the web interface and command line become unresponsive on occasion, the VM has been assigned 2 cores and 4gb of memory, surely it shouldn't become unresponsive?

I've passed the BR10i through and performance with 2 x 750GB Seagate drives is impressive, once I iron out all the bugs I'll pass through my production array with 4x1.5TB drives.

Any other pointers or tips?

Cheers

paleoN

Wizard
I haven't tried ESXi with FreeNAS myself. However,

Has anyone got any tips or pointers for virtualising FreeNAS 8?
Both the web interface and command line become unresponsive on occasion, the VM has been assigned 2 cores and 4gb of memory, surely it shouldn't become unresponsive?
The unresponsiveness could be the same as in this [thread=11]thread[/thread]. The workaround was to assign only 1 core.

Any other pointers or tips?
You failed to mention what version of FreeNAS you are running.

You are light on RAM. Bump the box up to 16gb and give FreeNAS 8gb.

PANiCnz

Cadet
I've tried the 1 core trick and it makes no difference. It's really weird at first I thought it might be network related but now I'm thinking it might be more performance related.

My current FreeNAS box is running fine with an Atom D510 and 4GB of memory and doesn't exhibit these problems, I don't think its a memory issue.

I've tried both 8.0.4 and 8.2 Beta3, both exhibit the same problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.