Pentium G3258 enough grunt for running ZFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraoch

Patron
Hello:

I'll be building a new FreeNAS server. I want to make sure it performs well so I'm trying to cover all the gotyas:

- 2 X 8 GB ECC RAM
- Supermicro X10SLL-F motherboard
- 2 X 1 TB Western Digital Red hard drives, mirrored (my storage size needs are quite small at this point)

My question is about the CPU. I'm making sure they support ECC so I could go with a Xeon E3 1220 V3 up to an E3 1230 V3, or a Core i3 4360. However I'm considering a Pentium G3258 which also supports ECC.

I won't be doing intensive work with the NAS - just samba file sharing, no transcoding or streaming. But I do want good speeds - as close to raw hard drive speed as I can get using ZFS mirroring over gigabit, and I'm willing to spend more in order to get that.

I won't be doing anything intensive like encryption or deduplipication either.

So would the Pentium G3258 have enough power for good speeds if it's not doing much other than using ZFS for read/writes and sharing using samba?

Thank you.

Market Guru

Dabbler
From what I read, recommended is 3.0ghz+ for CPU. FreeNAS tend to like more speed rather than cores.

hervon

Patron
I own a Pentium G630 @ 2.7. It's enough for my needs which is pretty much what you plan to do. I use the least CPU intensive compression. I even did some 'light' transcoding with a few files that would not play with miniDLNA.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Should be enough, but I'd go with something like an i3 43xx

Knowltey

Patron
Oh hell yeah, the server I'm upgrading from was running an E8400, and that was plenty more than enough, only issue was that it doesn't support ECC. I'm upgrading to a G3220 for reference.

Yatti420

Wizard
Fine.. Just not I'd you want to encode content on the fly..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

Fraoch

Patron
Thanks for all the replies! As you may suspect from this rather specific choice, I wanted to have a little fun with the processor, in a different motherboard of course. When I'm done with it (I'll be careful with it!) it will live the rest of its life rather comfortably in the server and I'll get a big i7 for more serious work in the workstation.

I may end up going with X99 in my main workstation, in which case I won't have a spare G3258 to use. I'll go with the i3 if things end up that way.

Again, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.