Need Opinions on CPU for my next FreeNas Build . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad1966

Dabbler
I'll be getting a SuperMicro mobo, most likely the X10SLM-F along with 16GB of ECC RAM. I'll be using either 4 or 6 3TB HDDs and possibly 2 5TB in a RAID1. Haven't worked out the storage yet.

The biggest thing I'm stuck on is CPU. I'll be trying to keep this as low a cost build as possible without using any really lousy components. Besides serving files, the only other thing I know I'll be doing is serving Plex to my HTPC, mostly 1080p streams, but only 1 at a time. Performance is important to me, so if I have to, I'd go with an i3-4370 CPU, but I'd prefer to go w/a Pentium G3258 (saving myself about $90) AS LONG AS THE G3258 GIVES GOOD PLEX PERFORMANCE.

Any Thoughts on CPU or anything else appreciated.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The worst parts of Plex involve transcoding. If you are not transcoding, the CPU requirements for Plex aren't supposed to be too onerous.

However, do bear in mind that your CPU is also providing the RAID functionality for ZFS, so there is a certain amount of loss there as well. My guess would be that it is likely to be fine as long as you're not transcoding and not trying to do lots of things (including other file sharing) simultaneously.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
If you are not doing Plex transcoding, you should find that an 1150 socket Pentium G3xxx of some kind if *more* than sufficient sir. Also, I believe the G3258 will not work with the v1.0 bios. Make sure you have an up to date BIOS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The G3258 will need v. 2.0 at the very least. Probably 2.1. 3.0 definitely supports it, though.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
For the record, there is pretty much zero chance that you will encounter any operational task on a FreeNAS where a G3258 will be in any way noticeably faster than a G3220, and a G3220 is guaranteed to work on any X10 board. Something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.