PC->NAS Aborted transfers and space issues

theSwedGuy

Cadet
Hey guys,

im new to TrueNas and really need your help. I try to transfer files to my NAS from my PC (windows 10 pro) but it constantly get interupted. Error 0x8007003B. I have looked through formus but have not found a solution. Its now so bad i cant use my nas anymore. Not a single file can be transfered without errors. They are all large 100gb ++

There are 4 pools with one disk in each. This is for testing purposes and later i thought that iwould have several disks per pool. It looks like the server does not like to have a disk at more than 80% capacity. And none of the disks that i transfer files to are @ that limit.

I have tried to turn off firewalls and antivirus in windows and also switched off Windows Serarch Service

What im i missing?

The system is:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
16GB ram
1GB network
And one LSI 9207 - splitting up for more SATA ports.

As for the storage issue. Im looking for a solution that i can expand, alot. I just have 40TB now but i expect it to be hundres of TB within a year or so. With so much need for space it seems that if i cant use 20% of the space because the server wont work, would this be the best solution for me then?

For my application raid might be too expensive so i thought i would just run it as JBOD. Idealy it would be several discs but just one big volume exposed to the Windows client.

c77dk

Patron
Have you masde the bios changes mentioned in other threads with Ryzen? The NIC - which model is that? A lot of the Ryzen systems come with Realtek and they're often c**p, and the advice is to put in an Intel NIC instead.

Have you enabled deduplication? If so, that might also give headackes with your hardware.

theSwedGuy

Cadet
Have you masde the bios changes mentioned in other threads with Ryzen? The NIC - which model is that? A lot of the Ryzen systems come with Realtek and they're often c**p, and the advice is to put in an Intel NIC instead.

Have you enabled deduplication? If so, that might also give headackes with your hardware.

Hey, im still verifying that they are all set as it should. I have some problem since there is no gfx card i my server. But i will find one and check.

No i did not have deduplication enebled. And the NIC is an LSI-9207 with two 6GB/s SAS ports that i can fit multiple SATA drives on with a SAS to 4xSATA cable.

Is intel recommended for TrueNas?

Alecmascot

Guru
What model drives are you using ?

Alecmascot

Guru

theSwedGuy

Cadet
There are four, all within their own pool. So its no raid or anyting. All IronWolf pro two 8tb and 2 10tb i think

IOSonic

Explorer

I'd also put my money on your NIC, but you can isolate this problem in two ways, both using utilities built-into the FreeNAS shell.

Are you familiar with iPerf? Use this utility in server mode on your TrueNAS , and in client mode on your computer. Initiate a UDP transfer equal to the size of the transfer you are trying to complete. If it fails, you know your issue is your network connectivity.

To test your disks, you can use dd to write an empty file to your storage pool. If you get an error, there is something wrong in your datapath (i.e., memory, disk controllers, cables or disks)

Post back if you need specific commands if or instructions on how to do either of these. Also, share your NIC model in your TrueNAS and in your computer when you have a minute. I'm also curious to know whether you have transfer issues with other computers, and whether the transfer fails consistently at any one point.

theSwedGuy

Cadet
I'd also put my money on your NIC, but you can isolate this problem in two ways, both using utilities built-into the FreeNAS shell.

Are you familiar with iPerf? Use this utility in server mode on your TrueNAS , and in client mode on your computer. Initiate a UDP transfer equal to the size of the transfer you are trying to complete. If it fails, you know your issue is your network connectivity.

To test your disks, you can use dd to write an empty file to your storage pool. If you get an error, there is something wrong in your datapath (i.e., memory, disk controllers, cables or disks)

Post back if you need specific commands if or instructions on how to do either of these. Also, share your NIC model in your TrueNAS and in your computer when you have a minute. I'm also curious to know whether you have transfer issues with other computers, and whether the transfer fails consistently at any one point.

When running dmesg -a it prints that the re0 is a: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet - device. Im not familiar with IPerf . If you can point me in the right direction i would be great :)

theSwedGuy

Cadet

I managed to run iPerf, it was not so hard. I had some strange results tho.

In UDP it was around 1mbit/s, so slow it was impossible to transfer anyting else than just a few mb. In TCP mode i had 761 mbit/s and 108gb in just below 1200 seconds. It ran without problems.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You need to get yourself another NIC (i.e. Intel), RealTek is well known for not working reliably with FreeBSD and hence TrueNAS

theSwedGuy

Cadet
You need to get yourself another NIC (i.e. Intel), RealTek is well known for not working reliably with FreeBSD and hence TrueNAS

Okay, lets do that and see what happens. This is really bugging me.

Do you have any advice on what to buy?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
A genuine Intel server NIC is the typical recommendation. There are many fake ones out. @jgreco has recently posted on this. It boils down to the credibility of the supplier and professional data center equipment "refurbisher" (if that word exists) are usually your best choice.

IOSonic

Explorer
When running dmesg -a it prints that the re0 is a: RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet - device. Im not familiar with IPerf . If you can point me in the right direction i would be great :)

Hi SwedGuy,

I'm sorry for the late reply -- I've been traveling. I see you figured out how to use iPerf. I tossed out a suggestion and bailed, but this really requires a more wholistic answer. There are a lot of different problems you could be having here, and you have to isolate where it is happening. I am all for putting a new Intel NIC in your server; it just may or may not be your problem.

Things I would ask myself include:

1. Is the problem on my client or on my NAS?
  2. Did this always happen, or did something change? If something changed, what was it?
  3. If I can verify the problem is on the NAS, what are the components involved in this transfer (controller, hard drives, network card, cables, switch, router (if crossing networks to the client) )
What troubleshooting have you done so far to verify that this is a problem with your NAS, and not on your client or some intermediary component? Have you verified that this happens from another client?

My concern is that we're getting into "poke and hope," and you may expend a lot of effort without any real resolution.

theSwedGuy

Cadet
Hi SwedGuy,

I'm sorry for the late reply -- I've been traveling. I see you figured out how to use iPerf. I tossed out a suggestion and bailed, but this really requires a more wholistic answer. There are a lot of different problems you could be having here, and you have to isolate where it is happening. I am all for putting a new Intel NIC in your server; it just may or may not be your problem.

Hey IOsonic

Thank you for reaching out again. I have tried to shut down services that has been known to cause issues. Like Windows Search and turned the firewall off as well ass real time virus protection. I also have used a new disk and transfer files to it. Now it seems to work but the speed is kind of slow. 950GB is expected to take around 3 hours over a 1Gbit network. It fluctuates alot. From 60->105 mb/sec. And so far it has sent over 100gb without getting an error. It has slowed down to 0 mb/sec twice and then restarted wihout any error.

Also, the iPerf test was successful and did 108gb in around 1200sec. It looks to me that it might not be a problem with the nic? If there was it feels like i should have a problem with iPerf as well.

All my computers have this problem, so its not just one system that cant send to the NAS. So im thinking that the controller card might be a good candidate? If it was successful to send the iPerf data but not to send data that went to the disk. Then the controller card is the only thing that im using now that i did not use with iPerf?

Could it be that the controller card has problems handling the disk when they get more full?

Also, my nas has very little memory left over. The dashborad says free ram: 0.4 gb, ZFS cache: 11.3gb, Services 4 gb (out of 16gb)