Password for SED

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwbaynham

Cadet
Help. I was trying to fix an issue with S.M.A.R.T. not starting and I ended up typing in a password for SED thinking it was somehow related. Is there any way to clear this? I don't have SED drives.

upload_2018-6-1_21-41-42.png

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Personally, I don't use SED nor have I ever set a password. However, per the manual I believe that even though you set a PW you did not do this part correct?:

Code:
Next, remember to initialize the devices:

sedhelper setup password

So... I would assume that you could simply go back to the disk via the GUI and set the PW to be empty/blank?

I am just speculating mostly, so I would not blame you for waiting to see if another contributor chimes in. :)

jwbaynham

Cadet
Personally, I don't use SED nor have I ever set a password. However, per the manual I believe that even though you set a PW you did not do this part correct?:

Code:
Next, remember to initialize the devices:

sedhelper setup password

So... I would assume that you could simply go back to the disk via the GUI and set the PW to be empty/blank?

I am just speculating mostly, so I would not blame you for waiting to see if another contributor chimes in. :)

You are correct I just typed in a password I didn't perform the sedhelper setup password step. I've trying blanking it out but it still shows the bullet dots like in the screenshot. These are WD Red drives so to my knowledge they don't support SED.

What just happened to me is that something auto-filled the first SED password field for me in my browser. This is probably caused by the password field being named something normal and sensible like "password" (I can't seem to check; the HTML source I see doesn't even have the form in it). But...as a general rule, password fields like this should maybe be planned so they don't autofill in cases like that?

(So, in this case, just blanking the field again let me exit successfully.)

Status
Not open for further replies.