Encryption

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Hi All,

I'm trying to determine if I have encryption set on my disks.

I set a global SED password is System -> Advanced. I then used the 'sedhelper setup password' command to apply that to my disks.

This seemed to work but I would like to verify this.

Interestingly, the following link implies that I should see a menu option under Storage -> View Disks called 'Password for SED', which I don't see as a menu item in the dropdown.

"Disks that have a configured password will show bullets in their row of the Password for SED column of Storage → View Disks. Conversely, the rows in that column will be empty for disks that do not support SED or which will be unlocked using the global password."

How do I verify that my drives are now encrypted?

Also, is drive encryption preferably to pool encryption. I feel the former will give better performance.

Thanks,
Fab

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Also, once I've put in the SED global password I seem to be able to just click the view button to see what this is. This seems like a bit of a flaw to me.

Reactions: Xan

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Also, once I've put in the SED global password I seem to be able to just click the view button to see what this is. This seems like a bit of a flaw to me.

Hi all. Is the above a bug or is the global SED password supposed to be visible when you click the view button?