Part 1- Do I need to replace this boot drive Part 2- How to identify which drive has errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaVa

Cadet
Hello all
I have a home freenas backup/plex box that I first set up in Aug 2015 and has been pretty much running without issues so far. I am running the OS on two mirrored USB drives.

A few days back I noticed an email from the box which said that one of the boot drives had some unrecoverable errors.

I ran
Code:
zpool status -x

and see the following output

[root@bazinga ~]# zpool status -x
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h4m with 0 errors on Sat Jul 1 16:54:22 2017
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/fdeca307-4cec-11e5-85af-b8aeeda5a539 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/7d611afe-4cb7-11e5-9fcf-b8aeeda5a539 ONLINE 0 0 17

errors: No known data errors

the second USB boot drive seems to show 17 checksum errors and the status remains online. Has been this way for a few days now and has not degraded or increased the count of checksum errors.

So Part 1 of my question is do i need to replace/resilver the usb boot drive with the errors?
Part 2 is how should I identify which of the two mirrored usb boot drives has the problem.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Easiest way is to just do a fresh install.

If you really want to replace them. You need to put a new usb in. Replace the bad one. Then hope you're lucky and pull out one of the two possible bad ones. If you pull the correct one perfect. If you pull the other good one just put it back in and pull the other that is bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JaVa

Cadet
Easiest way is to just do a fresh install.

If you really want to replace them. You need to put a new usb in. Replace the bad one. Then hope you're lucky and pull out one of the two possible bad ones. If you pull the correct one perfect. If you pull the other good one just put it back in and pull the other that is bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response
Not sure I completely understand.
Do you think a fresh install will not show the same checksum errors.

Am not sure and have no experience about the about the severity of the error. Would you suggest I replace and resilver before things worsen or does this seem like something that is okay.

I know that a new USB is less than 10 bucks and I should probably just do it. But I have a 9 month old and very little spare time.

Evertb1

Guru
Re-installing Freenas wil cost you less time then finding the bad stick. I have done this a couple of times and it does not take more then 15 minutes (really). Just save (download) your current config file on a handy place. Shut down your Freenas box. Put in some fresh USB sticks. Install Freenas again. Go to the webgui when the Installation is finshed. Ignore (close) the wizzard. Upload your saved config file. And you are back in business again. Of course if you have free USB slots you can also just replace the old USB sticks with fresh ones. One by One. Resilvering them wil cost you not much time either. By the way: I have had some bad luck with running Freenas of USB sticks. I bought a small SSD (60 GB) and pulled the USB stick out foreever.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Your best bet is to use a single small SSD (whichever one is on sale, any size 16GB or larger) and install it as your boot drive. You will likely never have an issue with the drive failing. Install FreeNAS and then restore your configuration file. Then you can spend more time with the 9 month old and not worry about FreeNAS going belly up. Look for 4th of July mail order sales.

Stux

MVP
If your USB drives have activity lights then you can read from them to dev null to identify.

Status
Not open for further replies.