Parent directory appears inside of child directory as read-only (recurring issue)

thatflashcat

Explorer
I made a thread about this issue back in March and never came to a solution, but I also stopped having the issue. The previous thread can be found here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...inside-of-child-directory-as-read-only.75160/

To briefly describe the issue, my brother has been editing PDFs in Adobe Reader (note, technically he's not editing, just filling in editable boxes, which is the only "editing" the reader is capable of) and saving his work to the appropriate folder on my file server. The problem is, when he goes to save the edited PDF, it gives an error that it cannot be saved in the directory. If I browse to the directory in windows explorer, I see that the parent directory is appearing in his school folder. For example, if his folder is called Classname, it should look like this:

Documents > School > his name > Class name > week# > assignment.pdf

But instead I see:

Documents > School > his name > Class name > week# > Documents

Note that I can enter any folder in the documents folder and view files, and it appears identical to the actual Documents folder, but cannot make any changes, hence the error from Adobe. The solution appears to be to restart the computer, but it pops up again as soon as he tries to save a PDF out of Adobe. I've saved countless other files to the same share without issue and I'm at a loss as to what could be wrong here. Part of me wonders if the PDFs are the issue but I don't know how that could possibly be the case. Any ideas?