Packet Loss on Plex Plugin Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishantil

Cadet
So here's a bit about my setup. I have a SuperMicro X8DT3-F motherboard with 2xXeon L5520s, 16GB of RAM running in a SuperMicro 836E16-R1200B chassis. The onboard NIC is an intel 82576 Dual-Port Gigabit Ethernet. LSI 9201-16i controller card runs the sixteen slot SAS expander array (also made by LSI logic).

So I've got LAGG running in Load Balancing mode across two physical NICs. Said NICs are on board my motherboard supported by an Intel chip. I can saturate my workstation NIC when I'm pulling from the server without any problem. ICMP echoes to the main IP (192.168.2.42) is rock solid (0% in 10000 pings). I've not had any storage issues at all so far. The Netgear GS724v3 switch that I'm using supports 802.3ad. From what I've read from the documentation on the Netgear site, neither Transmit or Adaptive load balancing require any configuration on the switch. So as far as the switch is concerned, it should just work.

After some work an reading a lot of these forum posts, I finally got Plex working. The storage has been shared properly and Plex can see the files and has attached metadata to them. So far, so good.

However, the plugin jail for Plex is a different story. On that (192.168.2.43), I get about 30-50% packet loss. I have a lot of trouble trying to play even music files sometimes. Videos are nearly unwatchable.

I get constant reports on this from the FreeNAS console:
Code:
Aug 27 20:58:26 LONGARCH uwsgi: [freeadmin.navtree:562] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.42/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/treemenu: The read operation timed out
Aug 27 20:59:25 LONGARCH uwsgi: [plugins.utils:88] Couldn't retrieve https://192.168.2.42/plugins/plexmediaserver/1/_s/status: The read operation timed out

Full disclosure, I am at best a linux/unix amateur. I'm more than willing to learn, but I don't have the expertise to troubleshoot this further without help.

Can anyone offer me any advice on how to solve this problem?

m0nkey_

MVP
The Netgear GS724v3 switch that I'm using supports 802.3ad. From what I've read from the documentation on the Netgear site, neither Transmit or Adaptive load balancing require any configuration on the switch. So as far as the switch is concerned, it should just work.
Link aggregation doesn't "just work". The documentation for your switch describes how to set-up Link Aggregation Groups starting on page 83.

ishantil

Cadet
Link aggregation doesn't "just work". The documentation for your switch describes how to set-up Link Aggregation Groups starting on page 83.

Very nice of you to link not only the documentation but also the page number. I appreciate you going to the trouble. I removed the ports from the VLAN, added them to a LAG, and then added the LAG to the VLAN. All is working now with no packet loss.

Thank you very much for your help. This was the last piece I needed to have everything working on FreeNAS 11!

m0nkey_

MVP
Very nice of you to link not only the documentation but also the page number. I appreciate you going to the trouble. I removed the ports from the VLAN, added them to a LAG, and then added the LAG to the VLAN. All is working now with no packet loss.

Thank you very much for your help. This was the last piece I needed to have everything working on FreeNAS 11!
Excellent. Glad to know it works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.