Owncloud Plugin - Why not MySQL instead of Apache?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visseroth

Guru
OK, I've been fumbling around with Owncloud a bit. I'm not a FreeBSD, database or Linux guru by any means of the imagination and I've managed to break about 5 installs trying to get OwnCloud to work with MySQL instead of SQL Light or Apache because MySQL (to my understanding) is like the pickup truck version of the databases that are out there. It'll do a lot of work and is still pretty dang fast.

I've tried the following threads......
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...ing-nginx-php-fpm-and-mysql.17786/#post-95880
http://www.tinkertailorsoldiersponge.com/blog/2014/08/11/owncloud-on-freenas-9-2

Why can't the PBI be configured by default with MySQL instead of apache? Doesn't it make more sense?

INCSlayer

Contributor
apache has nothing really todo with what database you use.

however i followed this guide:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...talling-owncloud-in-freenas-or-freebsd.19605/
which worked fine but it does have sqlite. to make it work with mysql just dont disable mysql support when you get to that step.
if you want to run it with mysql i recommend you setup a jail with a mysql(or a mariadb) server with phpmyadmin in and setup a user for owncloud then tell owncloud to point to that jails ip with the aformentioned username and password you made for that database.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Your question is nonsensical, rather like asking why you're using Windows rather than Firefox. Apache is a web server (for which the appropriate counterpart would be something like nginx); MySQL is a database system. The Owncloud plugin is set up to use SQLite because apparently setting it up to use MySQL instead uses about 1 GB of additional RAM.

Visseroth

Guru
Yea, IncSlayer made that point too. I didn't realize Apache was the web handler and confused them. I understand now.

I'm basically wanting to setup my OwnCloud to handle up to about a dozen users. Doublefully ever at the same time and though MySQL best over SQL Lite

danb35

Hall of Famer
MySQL is certainly going to be a more robust and scalable database solution for Owncloud than SQLite, but with that power comes a price, in terms of RAM, CPU cycles, and disk space. I can't really comment on the thought process for choosing SQLite over MySQL for the Owncloud plugin, but I'd suspect it's something along the lines of, "if you're serving a large enough population that you need MySQL, you should configure it manually anyway to optimize for your use case." I'm really not sure where the break-even point is for usage vs. database; I'd expect the folks on the Owncloud forums could help with that.

In any event, I recall seeing a recent post by @Joshua Parker Ruehlig indicating that he'd soon be building an Owncloud plugin with MySQL, so you may want to just wait for that.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
SQLite is the default option when installing owncloud on any platform. Is intended to be portable to allow you to move owncloud instances wherever you need without the overhead of a db server.

Owncloud even works in a shared hosting environment.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
To add to everyone's points, by default the freebsd owncloud port used to ship with sqlite support by default, but that was changed to mysql by a few versions ago.

As the plugin is/was based on this port, it also followed suit when it was first created.

Visseroth

Guru
ahh, good to know.

I do apologize for my ignorance but I do admit ignorance and am working towards correcting it.

I'm glad to hear the plugin will be available with MySQL, that will be a big plus for a lot of people and thanks Jashua. You have been a big help as well!

I'm going to be working with a friend later this week to learn some more about OwnCloud and it's setup. I may not end up being a guru but I'll have a better idea as to what I'm looking at and talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.