Overwrote folder using dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffles13

Cadet
So I'm clearly in way over my head and made a huge mistake.

I've had a FreeNAS running for a few years now and wanted to set up the ability to have family SSH into certain folders without the ability to access ALL of my files. While following a chrooting tutorial it instructed me to create a dataset for the user, so I foolishly created a dataset with the exact same name as the folder I wanted to limit the user to. Now, the folder is showing up as empty to me in Windows and the dataset is showing at ~150kb. However, the actual volume is showing at the full capacity it had before this mistake, leading me to believe (and desperately hope) that my data isn't lost and somehow overwritten. I realize that I should have done more research before dealing with datasets, but I didn't imagine I the system would be able to delete (or hide away) several terabytes of data in mere seconds.

Will deleting the dataset restore everything to how it was previously? If not, is there any way to get my multiple terabytes of lost data back?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you delete the dataset your folder will reappear. :)

Several people have made your mistake. They about poop their pants every time too!

Just make sure you didn't put any data in the dataset when you delete it.. we've had people do that too! Once the dataset is deleted anything inside it will be gone forever. :P

Waffles13

Cadet
If you delete the dataset your folder will reappear. :)

Several people have made your mistake. They about poop their pants every time too!

Just make sure you didn't put any data in the dataset when you delete it.. we've had people do that too! Once the dataset is deleted anything inside it will be gone forever. :p

Thank you so much! That moment of shock when I found an empty folder nearly gave me a heart attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.