OSStatus Error 2 when trying to login to Time Machine

TR4L

Dabbler
I setup a OS X Time Machine backup for my MacBook Pro about a year ago and now need to restore from that backup. The problem is, when I try to connect to it, I get the Message:

Time Machine can't access the backup disk "OSXBackup".
The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

I tried searching the web, but all the answers were old and didn't fix my issues! Any help would be greatly appreciated, also, deleting the backup and starting over is not an option (I have no reason to believe that the backup is bad and I need a lot of photos from it).

Please note that I'm able to access the folders inside the drive, I only have the issue through Time Machine Settings.

Yury

Cadet
I have encountered the same issue after update FreeNAS-11.3-U3.1
TM refuses connect my FreeNAS and shows the same message

And I still able to access all folders over smb without any problems

Any thoughts?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Maybe this older thread will help. Looks to be a permissions issue.

Yury

Cadet
Maybe this older thread will help. Looks to be a permissions issue.
No luck for permissions.
I have one user for TM and this user is an owner for the dataset.
As an experiment I created another user and set all permissions to 7 - no luck, the same errror when I try to connect my TM

I mentioned one strange thing with my main TM user - there is no right permissions set when I get in Edit the user - all checkboxes are clear.
And when I try to change something I can't save any changes (the 'Save" button greyed out).

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I mentioned one strange thing with my main TM user - there is no right permissions set when I get in Edit the user - all checkboxes are clear.
And when I try to change something I can't save any changes (the 'Save" button greyed out).

This is a bug in 11.3-U3.1. This will be fixed in U4. The work-around is to temporarily change the username, which will enable the Save button, Save changes, and then change the username back, and Save again.