OS Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Dunn

Cadet
I started using FreeNAS back in 2009, and it has worked flawlessly up until recently. The issue I am seeing is that I am having issues booting. It appears that my "OS" drive failed/is failing and its having an issue reading the DMI pool configuration. With that said- I have 3 500 GB drives setup in a software RAID5 configuration, and I am hoping that I didn't lose my data.

I attempted to download the latest FreeNAS, install it on a USB stick, book from the Stick and attempt to import the any existing volumes it would see, but it didn't see anything to import.

With my primary drive failing and with the 3 disks setup in a software raid config- what are my options?

Digidoc

Dabbler
You can't simply migrate the data pool over to FreeNAS8 from FreeNAS7. Specifically:

1. Before performing an upgrade you must always backup your configuration file, system disk, and all of your data.
2. UPGRADES FROM FREENAS™ 0.7x ARE NOT SUPPORTED: the system has no way to import configuration settings from 0.7 versions of FreeNAS™, nor is there any sort of volume importer yet that will preserve data on existing volumes. Attempting to upgrade from 0.7 will result in the loss of your configuration and data.

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Upgrading_FreeNAS

You're going to have to re-install V7 again, back up your data, and then go over to FreeNAS8 (and then restoring all the data back to the new drive array).

Status
Not open for further replies.