Opinions wanted-Would YOU wait for Denverton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceetan

Contributor
I've been a planning a FreeNAS build for ages now.
(Details here)
I was about to purchase everything when I got wind of the coming of Denverton processors/motherboards. As far as I could tell, the marked target for Denverton is similar to avaton, in that it's a low power processor intended for things such as NAS devices. I 'm pondering wether to wait for Denverton before completeing my build, Because low power is a "nice to have. On th other hand, I can see several cons :

• The hard ware will be very new, and there fore untested.
  • FreeBSD stability/driver might very well be questionable, where as Supermicro hardware is often tried and tested
  • It would be nice to get going with in fairly soon.
It seems from the above; that I have answered much of my own question, but I am still keen to hear the opinions of those more experienced then me, so any input on the matter would be much appreciated.

Stux

MVP
I'd personally wait.

I am ;)

Well, I'm also looking at Xeon D. Add an HBA to a board with 10gbe, m.2 and lots of ram capacity and plenty of cores and you have a decent system.

I'm waiting because I want to build a mini itx system with 8 drives, PCIe ssd, 64GB of ram and 10gbe.

Can't be done right now I think, except maybe Xeon d.

Last edited:

Ceetan

Contributor
I'd personally wait.

I am ;)

Well, I'm also looking at Xeon D. Add an HBA to a board with 10gbe, m.2 and lots of ram capacity and plenty of cores and you have a decent system.

I'm waiting because I want to build a mini itx system with 8 drives, PCIe ssd, 64GB of ram and 10gbe.

Can't be done right now I think, except maybe Xeon d.
Do you have a chasis planned for that?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Just be careful with cutting edge stuff. Not saying it will not work right with Freenas out of the gate, but there was a bit of pain for those who went with the newer SuperMicro stuff before.

Personally I would let others be the guinea pigs first, but I run all old stuff anyways...

Arwen

MVP
The same chassis used for the FreeNAS Mini XL would seem to support @Stux needs, IF
the server board;

• Had built-in 10Gbps Ethernet, (of the desired type, optical or 10GBase-T)
  • Came with 8 SATA or SAS ports
That would leave the PCIe slot free for the SSD.

Annoyingly, I prefer mirrored SATA DOMs for boot drives, and mirrored ZFS SLOGs. I
know I don't need either to be mirrored today. Plus, I use eSATA for my backups. That's
5 more SATA ports needed above and beyond data drive needs :-(.

Stux

MVP
Right,

Ablecom makes it. I believe they're actually owned by SuperMicro.

Another possibility is the UNAS 800

Also LianLi makes a nice 10 bay dtx case

Annoyingly, Xeon D boards only support 6 Sata, but tick all the other boxes.

Stux

MVP
5 more SATA ports needed above and beyond data drive needs :-(.

Good reason to add an HBA to a board with six Sata ports.

HBA for data. On board for misc. could even pass through the HBA to a vm.

That's one alternative I've looked at, if I can get everything except the HBA on board (hence m2 slot). I can use an m2 to u2 adapter and get a high performance ssd with power loss protection.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ceetan

Contributor
Just be careful with cutting edge stuff. Not saying it will not work right with Freenas out of the gate, but there was a bit of pain for those who went with the newer SuperMicro stuff before.

Personally I would let others be the guinea pigs first, but I run all old stuff anyways...
I hear ya. Sadly, the availability of the older stuff (X10 and associated CPU/RAM) comes at a significant premium where I live compared to the newer stuff (30% in some cases) and I can't justifiy that.
I willl have to hope for the best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.