OpenVPN TrueNAS, client not getting their own IP.

Grid21

Dabbler
As the title says. I have quite a few OpenVPN Client Certs made for some friends. But the issue we discovered is that, when I and a friend connect simultaneously, TrueNAS is NOT giving out different IPs, but rather, the same IP to both connected clients. This is the config for the OpenVPN Server, but I do not understand what I missed, and why TrueNAS is not assigning new address in the 192.168.1.0 range. What do I need to change to make it work to assign new IPs to different incoming connections? I read somewhere that a Client should have a "unique Common Name" but does that mean the address they use to connect? Or what flied in the certificate would I find the "unique Common Name"

also, I am using a dynamic IP, that is set up in the Certs for the server and client, and are both the same. So if that's the "common name" then I don't understand why TrueNAS/OpenVPN are not assigning new IPs because I don't have another "CN" to assign it except the dynamic one.

1705999380122.png

Last edited:

Grid21

Dabbler
So is anyone able to help me at all fix this issue? Please and thank you!

MrGuvernment

Patron
My first thought is always, your TrueNAS should never be directly accessible from the internet, period! Can your router not run OpenVPN by chance? or you only have an ISP Modem/Router?

What is your DHCP scope like for assigning IPs to clients?

Your "Server" does that subnet exist on your actual network? What is the IP of TrueNAS and your local computers?

Did you read over:

Grid21

Dabbler
My first thought is always, your TrueNAS should never be directly accessible from the internet, period! Can your router not run OpenVPN by chance? or you only have an ISP Modem/Router?

What is your DHCP scope like for assigning IPs to clients?

Your "Server" does that subnet exist on your actual network? What is the IP of TrueNAS and your local computers?

Did you read over:

No my router does not support OpenVPN. My local computers start from 0.2 and upwards. Not sure about the subnet existing on my network. I followed a tutorial about how to set up OpenVPN, but not that specific video. Sorry for replying months later. I've been really busy with other things and just now had time to reply.