OpenVPN Setup help

ovrilpt

Cadet
Hi guys, this is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I'm not being specific enough in some regard.

I've built my first NAS on TrueNAS Core 13.0 and I'm trying to setup remote access for myself and my video editors to the SMB shares through OpenVPN.

I've followed these tutorials to setup OpenVPN, configuring the remote clients to only be able to access the TrueNAS system on the server network, and use the remote client's internet: Video 1 Video 2

I installed OpenVPN Connect on the remote clients' machines, generated a unique Certificate for each client, with a unique Common Name, so multiple clients can connect to the server without sharing the same local IP, and the connection succeeds.

I can connect the SMB shares on the remote clients, and have them access the server, they can read and write stuff.
They are still using their internet (the external IP does not change to the server's IP), so I assume I've set up everything correctly.

So my problem right now:
After I've connected the OpenVPN Client, I'm constantly getting a "Session Invalided: KEEPALIVE_TIMEOUT" error, followed by a "Client terminated, restarting in 2000ms..." message on OpenVPN Connect, reconnecting the client sometimes several times a minute.
Sometimes this happens right away when I connect the client, sometimes after a couple minutes, rarely after 30 minutes.

This behavior never stops, no matter how much time I wait, nor after I restart the client, the server, or TrueNAS itself.

I'm having a hard time finding a solution for this, as it seems there is little documentation of this situation online (I think a couple people commented on these videos I shared with a similar problem, but never got a response).

Hope any of you guys can help me with this one, thanks!