OpenVPN + Couchpotato + SickRage + Transmission setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DeletedUser88470

Hi!

After having spent more than a month, Googling, reading and trying to get this to work, I am once again turning toward the community here for help...
I can simply not figure out what is wrong, and how to check if it is right.

Today, after having even more problems setting up openVPN on my previous 11.1 U6 setup with a lot of errors and missing files, I have upgraded to 11.2, which apparently has solved most of it...

So here goes:

I have a FreeNAS setup running on a Ubiquiti gateway and switches (enabling more options and settings).

I want to setup the following: Plex, Transmission, Couchpotato, Sickrage and OpenVPN as well as PiHole.

1. I have succeeded in installing Plex, Transmission, Couchpotato and Sickrage on my previous setup (each in a separate jail), being 11.1 U6, but now it seems as if the jails are missing, but as long as I am in Legacy mode I can see them. -PiHole is running in a separate VM which works perfectly.

2. In 11.2 I finally got OpenVPN running (in a new jail), but I am unsure if it functioning as supposed. I have used the following to check:
:/ # curl -s checkip.dyndns.org | sed -e 's/.*Current IP Address: //' -e 's/<.*$//'
and this seems to output the correct IP, which is provided by my VPN provider, but how do I connect this to the other jails?

3. Should I upgrade or create new jails containing Plex, Transmission, Couchpotato and Sickrage since I have upgraded to 11.2?

4. How should I setup my gateway to have a secure connection?

5. Firewall setup? Should I add rules to the one in the gateway or pf firewall - if so - what should I add?

6. Should I setup a seperate VLAN for the FreeNAS?

I know this is quite detailed, and probably all info can be found on the www, but I have not managed, and hope that someone is willing to help.

I would appreciate some info on how I also can secure the entire system a bit as well.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive this rather detailed request.

rmccullough

Patron
D

DeletedUser88470

Thanks for the reply.
That was one of the posts I used for installing openvpn.
Should I be moving the jails to the new setup? So reinstall everything?

rmccullough

Patron
If you are coming from an older version of FreeNAS it might not be required, but it is probably a good idea. If it is relatively easy to re-create the jails/plugins, I think it would be worthwhile to start from a cleaner, more current, state.

rmccullough

Patron
You can use IPFW if you want to connect your VPN tunnel to particular jails.

Wouldn't you just forward your OpenVPN port (e.g. 1194) to the Jails IP? I don't understand why you would need to configure ipfw, unless your jail doesn't have a static IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.