OpenVPN Connects but does NOTHING...

I've spent the last 48 hours straight reading about other peoples OpenVPN issues, trying to get my server working and I'm about to give up and find a new career... I haven't slept in two days over this. I cannot for the life of me get my OpenVPN server on TrueNAS Scale 22.12.2 working properly. It connects, but I cant ping ANYTHING on the network, not the TrueNAS server itself, not the firewall, nothing. I saw where people were having similar issues and had to add static routes in TrueNAS and on their firewall, I tried that with no luck. I have completely reset my firewall to a default config thinking maybe something was messed up on that end and still no luck. I seriously don't understand what is wrong here and I'd really appreciate some help. I've tried adding in the push gateway and push dns options, literally nothing on any forum has helped fix my issue this is seriously frustrating. When did OpenVPN stop being simple?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you can't ping anything at all, it sure sounds like the container isn't getting any connectivity (possibly due to firewalling, possibly due to a missing bridge or something).

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any ideas what or something might be?
You haven't really provided much context of what exactly you're trying to setup and how, what steps you followed, what instructions youºre following, etc. - so it's hard to really provide meaningful commentary.

As stated in the initial post, I'm setting up a remote access vpn server on TrueNAS scale. When I connect to OpenVPN after initial server setup it does connect to the OpenVPN server but it doesn't do anything, dns stops resolving, and even though I am connected to the vpn, I am unable to ping or connect to the TrueNAS server. I have tried setting a static rout in my firewall pointing back to the TrueNAS server as mentioned in my initial post, and I have tried pushing the routs via additional parameters in the TrueNAS OpenVPN server configuration page. The topology is set to subnet. My internal firewall ip range is 10.0.0.x, my OpenVPN ip range is 10.0.1.x, my TrueNAS server ip is 10.0.0.3.

See attached screenshots, one is the route I set in the firewall pointing back to TrueNAS, the other is the OpenVPN server config page in TrueNAS. Let me know if there's any other info that's useful.

It's possible I didn't create the routes correctly, or maybe my additional parameters are all wrong, I'm really not sure what's wrong with my setup but I'd like to get it working. Just hoping to get another brain in on this issue than just my own.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-04 040422.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-04 040422.png
    72 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot 2023-05-04 040457.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-04 040457.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 100

sretalla