Open microsoft file on smb share is very slow

hsh

Cadet
Hi,
I have a smb share folder on truenas 12.0-U4. we put some under 30MB microsoft project files there. when we open the files on share folder, the network receiving bandwidth is increased to 600Mbps for 5~10 seconds. it is so weird, but the files on windows share can be opened as soon as possible.
why 30MB file need 5~10 seconds time to be opened?

Thanks

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
why 30MB file need 5~10 seconds time to be opened?
It's probably something to do with locking semantics that the Microsoft native SMB stack is handling "automatically" (or at least the way their software is expecting), but SAMBA (an unofficial/open-source "copy" of Microsoft's SMB) isn't performing the same way, which forces the client to do something diferent with the file in order to avoid conflicts or to negotiate an acceptable method of access between them.

What that means?

Look into file locking on SAMBA and make appropriate settings on the SMB service/share.

This is an old reference, but the section on oplocks may give you some hints in the right direction:

I guess @anodos may have something to say about it (which may contradict me and is fine if that's the case).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hard to say without full context on how many files this is (and what exact type of files they are). Slow loading can indicate configuration or permissions issue. If it's a single dir with thousands or tens of thousands of files, you can run into performance issues O(n^2) in directory listing unless the dataset was created with the SMB preset

hsh

Cadet
Hard to say without full context on how many files this is (and what exact type of files they are). Slow loading can indicate configuration or permissions issue. If it's a single dir with thousands or tens of thousands of files, you can run into performance issues O(n^2) in directory listing unless the dataset was created with the SMB preset
Hi Anodos,
only three file on the folder, when I opened that folder on windows server sharing file, run smooth. but when I open it on Truenas, the microsoft project retrieve 10 seconds 500~600Mbps for only 30MB file!!! because of this transferation the loading time is very slow!

Thanks

hsh

Cadet
Hi all,
I put the microsoft project file here:
I thank who could open it on smb share truenas and check my request.
Thanks