One particular application cannot save on SMB share - help!

statalently

Dabbler
Hi there, thanks in advance for any help. To be honest, I'm hoping to catch the attention of a certain 'Sambassador'...

We have just upgraded to TrueNAS core from FreeNAS 11.3. We mainly use the NAS as an SMB file server for Mac clients running Avid Pro Tools, a Digital Audio Workstation. After upgrading and removing a couple of legacy auxiliary parameters, my SMB shares were working nicely, everything was feeling good and it seemed there were some nice improvements to the SMB part of TrueNAS.

When we were running FreeNAS, we had an intermittent problem where Pro Tools would incorrectly report a Pro Tools 'session file' as being open by another user and require you to do a 'save as'. Older versions of Pro Tools would not allow overwriting the file in the save dialogue, but more recent versions of Pro Tools would let you overwrite the existing file and you could go about your work.

After the update to TrueNAS, Pro Tools (all versions) now reports all session files as already open. If you try to save over the top of your session file, it tries to replace the file by deleting it and then attempting to write the new file. This writing of the new file fails and you have lost the existing file. It also cannot save new files on the NAS, or do its autosaves in the background.

Every other application is working wonderfully. I have the feeling that Finder is listing directories quicker, and it is now even able to delete nested folder structures. Clearly Pro Tools is doing something weird...

I will have to roll back to FreeNAS as soon as possible so we don't accidentally lose any work but will happily provide any packet captures, debugs, videos or anything that will help get to the bottom of this.

statalently

Dabbler
I tried a packet capture with Wireshark and suspect I may have found a problem SMB request packet. I compared a Pro Tools save to a successful save with a text editor, and found this request + response present in the Pro Tools save but not in the successful save:
Code:
SMB2    582    Create Request File: sdfsd\sdfsd.ptx;SetInfo Request SEC_INFO/SMB2_SEC_INFO_00;Close Request
SMB2    462    Create Response File: sdfsd\sdfsd.ptx;SetInfo Response, Error: STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL;Close Response

Diode

Dabbler
Looks like we have a similar problem. My circuit board CAD software has the same issue with file locks.