SMB - problems after file save: "The file XYZ has been changed on the drive"

DD4711

Contributor
Hello,

I am having some problems with the SMB shares and would appreciate some help in tracking down the problem.

I am using TrueNAS-13.0-U2. Drives are shared by SMB. For a while now I've been having problems with my Linux Mint clients mounting the drives. For example, when I create a new text file and save it to a drive, I get a message in the editor a short time later (message translated from German): "The file XYZ has been changed on the drive. Do you want to reload the file?

Unfortunately, I can't find the cause and would be very grateful if I could be given tips to first locate the problem and also fix it.

Many thanks in advance!

DD4711

Contributor
Hello,

may I add some more information about my problem and kindly ask for some help.

I still have problems with locked files on my SMB shares. E.g. LibreOffice tells me while opening a file that it can't be edited because it is locked by unknown user. Also xed editor throws similar message while opening some files.

It seems that for a long time untouched files are not affected by this problem. But if someone touches a file it is for another user of this share not anymore editable and locked. I can't find any lock files of Libre Office.

Sometimes it takes a lot of time to save e.g. a small text file on that share. It seems it stucks in a specific process.
  • smbstats doesn't provide any information about those files
  • restart smb has no effect on that
  • I mount the smb shares on Mint with: sudo mount -t cifs //nas/share /home/name/nas/share -o uid=1000,gid=1000,rw,user,username=username
    • uid, gid and username are those of the mint clients

Thank you for any ideas locating my problem.