One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viktor Westin

Dabbler
Hey there!

I'm rather new to FreeNAS, and I'm afraid it might be judgement day for my decision to choose the cheap path and go non-ECC last January when i purchased my parts. I've got my system up and running and worked around some hiccups since then, but I can't say I'm very confident in working with FreeNAS as of yet. Bear with me, please.

Anyways, I just realized something's wrong with the system. I get an alert saying the following:
CRITICAL: Nov. 2, 2016, 2:47 p.m. - The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

Now, I've found out one first move is to check shell for the output of the following command:
zpool status -v

I got:
Code:
  pool: NAS																														
state: ONLINE																													
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 2h55m with 0 errors on Sun Oct  9 02:55:32 2016														
config:																															

NAME											STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM												
		NAS											 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
		  mirror-0									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/0c1ad385-e9f6-11e5-bfe4-408d5cb0394b  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												
			gptid/0d127043-e9f6-11e5-bfe4-408d5cb0394b  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0												

errors: No known data errors																										

pool: PlexJail																													
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 23 00:01:33 2016														
config:																															

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM													
		PlexJail									  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0													
		  gptid/52370aa1-d70d-11e5-93ce-408d5cb0394b  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0													

errors: No known data errors																										

pool: freenas-boot																												
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data															
		corruption.  Applications may be affected.																				
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the															
		entire pool from backup.																									
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A																						
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h12m with 5 errors on Fri Oct 28 03:57:03 2016														
config:																															

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM													
		freenas-boot								  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0													
		  gptid/c330cd95-d74b-11e5-81d7-408d5cb0394b  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0													

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:																

freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.1@2016-05-10-10:54:34:/usr/share/man/man3/isxdigit.3.gz											
		freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.1@2016-05-10-10:54:34:/usr/share/man/man3/isideogram.3.gz											
		freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.1@2016-05-10-10:54:34:/usr/share/man/man3/isphonogram.3.gz										  
		freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.1@2016-05-10-10:54:34:/usr/share/man/man3/ispunct_l.3.gz											
		freenas-boot/ROOT/9.10.1@2016-02-19-13:11:38:/var/db/pkg/local.sqlite

So I gather as much as that this is related to my boot-drive having some issues. I recently updated to 9.10.1-U2, and today, when I saw this error, activated my previous 9.10.1. However, this didn't do anything. As you guys probably might've expected :) However, my guess is that my data is currently safe?

Bearing in mind my limited knowledge, what do you guys say is the problem, and how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The visible problem is the boot device, clearly.

Reinstall FreeNAS to a new device and upload the config file.

melloa

Wizard

Save the config file 1st? :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Save the config file 1st? :)
That part is implied. I'm also going for the subliminal "the config should always be backed up" message.

Viktor Westin

Dabbler

Alright - so I'm not entirely stupid then, since that was what I thought (and hoped) :)

So, in regard to the source of the error - is non-ECC to blame, or poor quality of the memory-thumb on which I have FreeNAS installed? I got it together with the other parts, less than a year ago..

And might point out, that since I'm now very pleased with my first FreeNAS build, I'm thinking of investing in proper hardware to ensure my data in the future.. Still think it was worth going non-ECC just as a first step. I might revise if my data is lost before I make said upgrade.. ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Viktor Westin

Dabbler
Highly doubtful, but not completely impossible.

Very likely. FreeNAS has been killing USB drives since 9.3 came out. Most really are that crappy...
Okay, then I'll go and get a new one.. Any specific make/model, or just shoot blind and hope for the best?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
SanDisk and Toshiba seem to be the most reliable.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
And when posting the output of your commands please use the code tags not the cmd tags. The latter destroys the formatting and makes your posted info very difficult to read.

nojohnny101

Wizard
I have used a mirror setup of Sandisk Cruzer CZ33 16gb. When both of those die, I will probably just buy a single SSD.

If you haven't already bought your replacement, just buy a cheap SSD and you'll be at peace.

Stux

MVP
Okay, then I'll go and get a new one.. Any specific make/model, or just shoot blind and hope for the best?

Get two.

Install to both at the same time. Now you have a mirrored boot drive.

Viktor Westin

Dabbler
SanDisk and Toshiba seem to be the most reliable.
Get two. Install to both at the same time. Now you have a mirrored boot drive.
I have used a mirror setup of Sandisk Cruzer CZ33 16gb. When both of those die, I will probably just buy a single SSD.
If you haven't already bought your replacement, just buy a cheap SSD and you'll be at peace.

Thanks all - will buy two SanDisk or Toshiba then, might go for SSD in the future.

And when posting the output of your commands please use the code tags not the cmd tags. The latter destroys the formatting and makes your posted info very difficult to read.
Yup, my mistake, will correct it!

Status
Not open for further replies.