Onboard interfaces disappear after adding nic

HDmac

Cadet
I just installed an intel 10G nic on my truenas server but when I booted it up, my onboard interfaces were gone and I can only see the intel nic when running ifconfig -a.

I was planning to direct connect with the 10G nic so I still need my onboard 1G interface for wan/lan. Anyone know why they're not showing up?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You've not provided any useful information, so you are likely to only get vague guesses and stabs in the dark. Please refer to the Forum Rules, conveniently linked at the top of every page in red, which provides some tips about how to form a problem description that is likely to solicit some useful responses.

What kind of system is it? What's the mainboard? What's the ethernet controller type on the mainboard? On the 10G card ("Intel" is not sufficient)? A well-known and supported controller like an X520 is a different beast than something like the X55n's, which tend to be somewhat flaky. SFP+ is better than copper. Have you visited the 10 Gig Networking Primer thread? etc.

At a minimum, please answer all of those questions in at least moderate detail.

HDmac

Cadet
The motherboard is a Tyan S5512WGM2NR with onboard intel 82574L, cpu is E3-1220. The intel pci-e nic is a X540-T2.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Tyan isn't real good at server boards. We used to sell them here years ago, until it became clear that they didn't really put development effort into them...

Are both of the 82574L interfaces disappearing? Are they showing up if you do "ifconfig -a"? "lspci"?

The X540's are kind of picky about systems and may be doing something that is detrimental to however Tyan sets up the 82574L's. You'd think this wouldn't be that hard (and I think that it isn't that hard), but the devil is in the details of how PCI gets configured and what is passed to the OS by the BIOS.

HDmac

Cadet
Yes, both interfaces are disappearing, poof, gone. They show back up fine if I remove the x540. So far the x540 is doing good on it's own though, guess i'll just have to use the other 10g port for lan/wan...

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'm assuming it's gone in lspci too?

So let me ask you this. Typically, Intel parts include an option ROM that allows you to PXE boot. This might need to be specifically enabled in the BIOS, but often it just works by default. Does that disappear as well with the X540 installed?