Offsite Backup solution

we7313

Dabbler
I've read a few threads on backups & they seem to be all over the board with needs and solutions.

Right now I have 6 4tb drives in 1 pool setup with ZFS2.
I would like to use one of the cheap cloud providers to give me piece of mind that there is a copy of all the files offsite.

I also have a windows server available, that could be used in this process.

Would using mklink mapping the NAS on the windows server allow me to use a solution like backblaze?

I'm open to all solutions & suggestions.

m0nkey_

MVP
I recently changed my solution that might give you an idea.

I have two external encrypted drives (using VeraCrypt, these drives are leaving the premises so it's mostly to keep nosy people out) that I put into one of these hard drive toasters attached to my desktop PC. I then have a bunch of scripts that synchronize the data from the FreeNAS box to the local drive using SSH, which I run manually about once a week. I pop the drive in, run the 'Start Backup' shortcut on my desktop, the drive is mounted, latest version of the backup scripts installed, synced, then unmounted. The external drive is then taken to my work place and stored in my locker. I rotate the two drives every month.

I'll most likely post my backup scripts in the near future. I've got to strip out SSH and encryption keys and write a few blurbs on how to configure/use it.

Heracles

Wizard
Hi,

My offsite solution is a second FreeNAS at my father's place. I configured the server locally and did the first sync over local network. Once the servers in sync, I moved the DR one to my father's place and keep them in sync over a site-to-site VPN configured with OpenVPN. We both have unlimited Internet but because the sync is only the diff, the volume is not that big.

The data are encrypted at file level by Nextcloud. The keys are in the database and I dump that database as part of my regular backup. To ensure the keys are not clear text with the files, I encrypt the database dump before syncing it with FreeNAS. For a restore, the DR FreeNAS contains everything needed BUT the password to restore the database. That offers a complete protection should an incident happen on the DR site. That would also protect my data should I use a public server for DR.

Have fun designing your own offsite solution,